• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

dance halls

= Roy Hodson
I played in all the professional ballrooms in Birmingham from 1950 until 1964.
The bands I played with were: Arthur Rowberry (Touring & Astoria, Nottingham), Colin Hulme (Tony's Ballroom), Hedley Ward (Sunday Concerts), Sonny Rose (West End Ballroom), Cliff Deely (Tower Ballroom).
Hello Mr Hodson. I would like to ask if you knew Tom Starbuck with his Grafton Alto? I first met him at work and as I was trying to play the Alto and Clarinet we became quite friendly. If you did know him I would love to hear any memories you wish to share.

Yours truly

Brian Fox.

I am sure we all must have passed each other at the West End, Locarno and the Tower Ballroom, I went to the Galleon a few times it was a lovely place very friendly, in fact my husband to be got very angry one night when someone tagged me in the tag quickstep. Oh, happy days!!! Still dancing.
Katie
Hi Katie, I wonder if you could please help me. My mother went to the Galleon dance hall when she was a girl and I am creating a powerpoint presentation and this is your life album for her 80th birthday next year. Just wondering if you have or know of anyone who has any photographs of the Galleon. Many thanks. Julie

I am sure we all must have passed each other at the West End, Locarno and the Tower Ballroom, I went to the Galleon a few times it was a lovely place very friendly, in fact my husband to be got very angry one night when someone tagged me in the tag quickstep. Oh, happy days!!! Still dancing.
Katie
Was this the Galleon in Hall Green Katie,? Do you happen to have any pictures of the dance hall?

The Palais de Dance has a small thread:

I think this link is no longer. Just in case it is of interest I have some info on the Palais de Danse, along with Bostock's Jungle at : https://www.midlandspubs.co.uk/birmingham/monument-road/index.html#Mitchells

I thought the name of Bostock rang a bell and, on reading your article, I realised I have seen his grave with the lion on the top!
I live just up the hill from Abney Park Cemetery.

Odd how such coincidences occur. You'll have to let me know [if you go there again] where the lion is. I hope to visit Highgate Cemetery this year and wouldn't mind taking a look at this.

Odd how such coincidences occur. You'll have to let me know [if you go there again] where the lion is. I hope to visit Highgate Cemetery this year and wouldn't mind taking a look at this.
Yes, I'll go and check it out and see if l can find it again, it was actually shown to me only last year and we were told the story about the lion that escaped in Birmingham - did you know about that?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-39799098
Sorry everyone - getting off topic now!

Just down the Alum Rock Road from Highfield Road towards Ward End , on the right hand side, there used to be a social club ( or was it a school ? ) I have just Google Street Viewed it and it is now a derilect site with fencing in front of it. I again remember many Saturday nights dancing there.
Hello Ingleton, My mum and dad met at Morris's social club dance in the 1950's, I am trying to find any images of it , or where it once stood. Have you got the google map image by any chance so I can see where it once stood please? Or has anyone got any photos.

Back