• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Dale End

Sadly this area has gone downhill a lot from back then.

Tesco have gone of course, replaced by an Argos, which has since been replaced by a B&M.

Some of the shops on the right are now pretty tatty.

The horrible brown car park on the right in the distance is still there (with the big white P).

Toy R Us used to be in the large unit on the right below the car park, but it is now an Ikea (not a full shop just a click and collect outlet I think)

There were plans to knock the ugly car park down a few years ago (and the office block next to it was emptied, you can just see it poking out behind the car park) but then the financial crisis hit and nothing happened. The office block is still empty and the car park is still there.

The tall building in the distance is the McLaren building.

Looks nothing like the Dale End I knew in the late 1950s - horrendous!

Maurice

Last edited:
Since this seems to be a Dale End thread, I wonder whether anyone has pre-1883 photos, please, of what became the Imperial Arcade, to the left of which was St Peter's Church.
The arcade was built by Thomas Hall from I think both nos 19 (RHS) & 20 (LHS); no. 20 belonged to my Gt-Gt-Gt-Grandfather John Aston, brushmaker. I'd love to have a photo of his shop. He sold no.20 to Thomas Hall in 1881, but died in 1882 (at 82) so didn't see the opening of the arcade in 1883.
Thanks!

Dale End/Moor Street in 1958. E Coaney & Co seems to have thrived since the image in post #56. Says the company was established in 1844.
Was Kenways a beer or a pub/bar/shop? Viv.

99024A1C-2ED7-446F-981A-0AFBD362F825.jpeg

OldMowhawk,still alive used to buy a lot of cloths from Zissmans when I worked for Marsh & Baxters down the bottom of Dale End by the Coleshill St traffic lights.Then I found Cecil Gees in New Street

Since this seems to be a Dale End thread, I wonder whether anyone has pre-1883 photos, please, of what became the Imperial Arcade, to the left of which was St Peter's Church.
The arcade was built by Thomas Hall from I think both nos 19 (RHS) & 20 (LHS); no. 20 belonged to my Gt-Gt-Gt-Grandfather John Aston, brushmaker. I'd love to have a photo of his shop. He sold no.20 to Thomas Hall in 1881, but died in 1882 (at 82) so didn't see the opening of the arcade in 1883.
Thanks!
1dja
I was researching my family tree this morning and came upon the 1901 census which states that the head family I was researching was employed as the caretaker of an arcade situated between nos. 20 and 21 Dale End. Although not named I think this may be the Imperial Arcade. The only picture I could find was of a sculpture of a figure on the exterior. I don't know if it's still there but no doubt the wonderful members of this forum would be able to say.
imperial arcade, dale end.jpg

Never heard the word before, but remember similar being used on chair seats, and by me in my youth when attempting to do a bit of bookbinding of magazines and paperbacks. See below:

20220302_202510.jpg

My wife wno is a crafts woman, embroidery, quilting and paper crafts, once attended a course and can now produce paper that looks like leather for wallets, book covers etc just like your photo, but it is made of paper, screwed up tissue paper as the starter.
Bkb

My wife wno is a crafts woman, embroidery, quilting and paper crafts, once attended a course and can now produce paper that looks like leather for wallets, book covers etc just like your photo, but it is made of paper, screwed up tissue paper as the starter.
Bkb
Hi All
Don't you just love the BHF. I have just been reading this thread, the old photos are amazing. Unfortunately, Dale End doesn't look amazing these days! One of many memories is going shopping to Marsh & Baxters for my mom and nan. I just wish the camera man could have carried on walking towards Coleshill Street. I have no photos (pre dem) of my 'old end', my old street, Gopsal Street neither. Would love to see some. I know the members have looked for me.
Many thanks, Sue

During the War I was a young child and Mom used to sometimes take me with her to her work running the canteen at a factory making shell cases.
One day we were walking past Marsh & Baxters and joined the queue for 2lb of Pork sausages. By the time we made it into the shop it was called out that it was now 1lb of Pork and 1lb of Beef sausages.
Just before we got to the counter they announced all the Pork had gone and only Beef were available.
Mom said she could get those anytime at work and we left.
Also remember a queue on the opposite side of Dale End for a bottle of Scotch for Xmas but we didn't join that one.

During the War I was a young child and Mom used to sometimes take me with her to her work running the canteen at a factory making shell cases.
One day we were walking past Marsh & Baxters and joined the queue for 2lb of Pork sausages. By the time we made it into the shop it was called out that it was now 1lb of Pork and 1lb of Beef sausages.
Just before we got to the counter they announced all the Pork had gone and only Beef were available.
Mom said she could get those anytime at work and we left.
Also remember a queue on the opposite side of Dale End for a bottle of Scotch for Xmas but we didn't join that one.
Would you join it today?:joy::joy:

Hi All
Don't you just love the BHF. I have just been reading this thread, the old photos are amazing. Unfortunately, Dale End doesn't look amazing these days! One of many memories is going shopping to Marsh & Baxters for my mom and nan. I just wish the camera man could have carried on walking towards Coleshill Street. I have no photos (pre dem) of my 'old end', my old street, Gopsal Street neither. Would love to see some. I know the members have looked for me.
Many thanks, Sue

There appear to be 2 photos of Gospal St here...

There appear to be 2 photos of Gospal St here...

Hi MWS, Thank you for your post .

Unfortunately, we lived in between the two photographs and I have seen them before, yes, I think it may have been on the Birmingham Forum. Nice to see them again. One thing I did miss though was number 51 was mentioned. My aunt , uncle and cousins lived there in the fifties, my aunt and uncle at number fifty, us at number forty nine and my nan at number 38. Happy days! Apologies for going off thread

Kind regards, Sue

Back