• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Dale End

That would make the newer-looking office buildings to the left of Hedges the offices of the Birmingham City Electrical Supply Dept.
Yes, they were no 14. The building was still used as offices for the electrical supply company when I started my apprenticeship in 1960 - then the Midlands Electricity Board. Inside was a large square hall with offices off and also a balcony with more offices. I remember it being very impressive - I only wish I had taken some photos! Should never have been demolished in my opinion.

Yes Lyn, It fascinates me, one minute my house is there, next just fields and woods, it is up to date too for it shows the lengthened airport runway and that only opened last year. Same with the new Engineering college in Chelmsley road by me, that only opened last September. Eric

Here's a very interesting account of the MEB premises on Dale End. Over time they seem to have taken over other Dale End buildings including the Imperial Arcade.

The clock the author mentions is the Market Hall clock, it first stood in a turret at Imperial Arcade. The clock broke down in 1904 in the Arcade and was left there for 30 years until Percy Shurmer had it restored and removed to the Market Hall. Viv.

https://website.lineone.net/~glb1/birmingham/meb/dale.htm

In September 2016 we were all puzzling over the pic below in the Unknown Locations thread and then we eventually found out it was in Dale End.
index.php

(pic only visible if logged in)

Last edited:
Thought the dark building was a pub. After reading the 'unknown' thread, would the pub-type building have been an outlet for their (Mackie & Gladstone) bottling/wine merchant business ? Viv.

Hi Viv
here is an earlyest start of dale end ; i have put them in seqence as follows
as early 1800,s from bull street and you will end up with number 29 Dale end
best wishes Alan,, Astonian;;;

Attachments

• ScanImage002.jpg
    ScanImage002.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 86
  • ScanImage001b.jpg
    ScanImage001b.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 82
  • ScanImage003.jpg
    ScanImage003.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 81
  • ScanImage004.jpg
    ScanImage004.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
I bet not many forum members would remember Zissmans in Dale End. I bought a sweater from that shop a long time ago !
index.php

Last edited:
Not sure Dale End shows up as such on your first two photos Alan. But the second two are good ones. Whisky takings must have been good for James' that day!

Another menswear shop, Nelson House. Viv.

image.jpeg

Viv

If you were a young man in the 60's and you wanted the cheapest up to date clothing you could get then Nelson House at the end of Dale end was where you would be on a Friday night buying the latest gear. Even when it fell apart or faded after the first wash it didn't stop you going back.

I remember seeing the Zissman shop, but being a youngster only went in once with my father. There was also a Zissmans on the Parade (near Sand Pits) but I do not know if their was a connection between the two stores.

Hi viv
yes the scene is a shot from dale end the photograpther was in a high postion in dale end whenhe took the picture
so from that point the guy keith turner is actualy on dale end its self
so where the big advert above premises grenvilles shirts and gloves is actualy the corner peice of dale end
and this book is and registered in central libary alan,, Astonian

Zissermans was on springhil about four or five possibley six doors from the springhil libary
and to add to your sandpitts that would have been 200 yards from the libary
i also bought from zizzes in the fiftys and played on the sandpitts lived just along from the sandpiits and springhill
and he was next to a radio and music shop selling records this bloke had a radio and electric
on the othere side of the road as well
zissermans shop was later taken over by john collier s
thats when they brought out there advert singing , john collier , john collier the window to whatch

Two much older images, both have been on the forum before, but not on this thread. The first is of Lloyds Bank, near the junction with High Street. The second is the Old Engine (pub?). Viv.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

The building to the right has YMCA written above. So Imperial Arcade would have been next to the YMCA - the Arcade being, at a guess, where the van is parked on the right near the wide archway. Viv.

I bet not many forum members would remember Zissmans in Dale End. I bought a sweater from that shop a long time ago !
index.php

We used to go to Zissmans for our shirts which were always cutaway collars and as made for Billy Eckstein/Frankie Lane. My favourite and best buy was a shirt described as 'sharkskin' and as designed for Billy Eckstein. I once bought one there which was cream with brown button down collar nd brown cuffs. Worn with the top button done up and no tie.......cool or what?

Another shop I used visit quite often was the Scout Shop about a hundred yards along from Zissmans. It has been mentioned elsewhere on the forum but I have never seen a photo.

Wow some of my old buttons pushed tonight! I was kitted out at the Scout Shop when I joined the St Agatha's troop in Sparkbrook.
I also bought a lot of gear from Zissmans in the early 1950 's. I had a claret red corduroy draped jacket which set of my pink shirt (styled exclusively for Frankie Lane and thousands of young neds like me!).A crochet multi colored tie and oxblood crêpe soled shoes. Looking back I can think of only one good thing, that I bought my gear with money earned at my spare time jobs.
My dress style did improve in the next few years I'm glad say, but in my 70's I have a more relaxed slobby style.
As an aside, a few years ago at a family do one of my nieces said " My mother says my taste in clothes leaves a lot to be desired". Her mother over hearing her shouted out "I said your taste is in your arse" Now that is down to earth.
Cheers Tim.
Hi Lyn.

Back