• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Dale End

guilbert53

master brummie
Sadly this area has gone downhill a lot from back then.

Tesco have gone of course, replaced by an Argos, which has since been replaced by a B&M.

Some of the shops on the right are now pretty tatty.

The horrible brown car park on the right in the distance is still there (with the big white P).

Toy R Us used to be in the large unit on the right below the car park, but it is now an Ikea (not a full shop just a click and collect outlet I think)

There were plans to knock the ugly car park down a few years ago (and the office block next to it was emptied, you can just see it poking out behind the car park) but then the financial crisis hit and nothing happened. The office block is still empty and the car park is still there.

The tall building in the distance is the McLaren building.

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
Looks nothing like the Dale End I knew in the late 1950s - horrendous!

Maurice

Last edited:

1dja

Since this seems to be a Dale End thread, I wonder whether anyone has pre-1883 photos, please, of what became the Imperial Arcade, to the left of which was St Peter's Church.
The arcade was built by Thomas Hall from I think both nos 19 (RHS) & 20 (LHS); no. 20 belonged to my Gt-Gt-Gt-Grandfather John Aston, brushmaker. I'd love to have a photo of his shop. He sold no.20 to Thomas Hall in 1881, but died in 1882 (at 82) so didn't see the opening of the arcade in 1883.
Thanks!

Vivienne14

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dale End/Moor Street in 1958. E Coaney & Co seems to have thrived since the image in post #56. Says the company was established in 1844.
Was Kenways a beer or a pub/bar/shop? Viv.

99024A1C-2ED7-446F-981A-0AFBD362F825.jpeg

Edifi

master brummie
OldMowhawk,still alive used to buy a lot of cloths from Zissmans when I worked for Marsh & Baxters down the bottom of Dale End by the Coleshill St traffic lights.Then I found Cecil Gees in New Street

jmadone

master brummie
Since this seems to be a Dale End thread, I wonder whether anyone has pre-1883 photos, please, of what became the Imperial Arcade, to the left of which was St Peter's Church.
The arcade was built by Thomas Hall from I think both nos 19 (RHS) & 20 (LHS); no. 20 belonged to my Gt-Gt-Gt-Grandfather John Aston, brushmaker. I'd love to have a photo of his shop. He sold no.20 to Thomas Hall in 1881, but died in 1882 (at 82) so didn't see the opening of the arcade in 1883.
Thanks!
1dja
I was researching my family tree this morning and came upon the 1901 census which states that the head family I was researching was employed as the caretaker of an arcade situated between nos. 20 and 21 Dale End. Although not named I think this may be the Imperial Arcade. The only picture I could find was of a sculpture of a figure on the exterior. I don't know if it's still there but no doubt the wonderful members of this forum would be able to say.
imperial arcade, dale end.jpg