• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Dale End 1890

Di.Poppitt

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
Dale End.Watercolourjpg.jpg

This is a pen and ink wash I did of Dale End some years ago, from an old photo. I can't find the photo now.

Last edited:
Gosh Di I do wish I had a talent. Ive always admired those who can paint, and draw, or compose words. You are very talented, fancy letting me use that on the Brum Site? :eek:

Gosh Di you are a very good artist,and the perspective is brill. O0

Well done postie O0

The only ink washes I did was to clean my hands after school :2funn

Well done Di :)

Di you are one talented lady. I was so pleased to see your work and also the photo as I have found a number of my ancestors lived at nos. 3 and 9 Dale End, and a g.g. grandad had a pub The Wine Vaults at 42 John Street, Dale End in 1851. I wonder which way the numbers ran.

wow.
congratulation
such a loss
[there was a musical hall your right]

Wonderfull pen and ink and great photo. I wonder if rhe sign on top of the building to the right is the old Lewiss's before it moved up to Corporation street. The Corporation street store is still there as far as I can see but is the company still in business.

First time I have seen your drawing Di it is beautiful. You are very talented as everyone else has said. O0

Thanks for your nice comments. :)

Rupert, sadly Lewis's closed a while ago. :'(

I'll see what I can find Robert. :)

Was," 5  Lower Priory in Dale End"  as this is were my GGG Granmother lived in 1861, was this a shop' as her occupation was as a Piece Barker?? she came to Birmingham with her Husband from Louth in Lincolnshire I cannot find a date on which they first set up a tailoring shop in Birmingham or exactly were the shop was situated?
can any one help.
ASTON

actually thats not Dale end it is Bull street circa 1910 Dale end runs at right angles to Bull street as you can see Lewiss's on the right hand side of this photpgraph I have an identical photograph which states it as Bull street
the address for Genvilles in the Dale end photoraph is 103 Bull Street (Kelly's 1900)

Sorry if I mislead you all with my painting. Perhaps a bit of artistic licence by the original photographer, he would have stood with his back to Dale End. I titled my painting from the PC I had, can't find it now.

I have seen the photograph myself with Dale End as the descriptive title so no apology is needed  I think it should have said Bull Street from Dale End I don't think the guy is still around to ask him, the book i have was published in 1930 your painting now only merits a 10/10 OK 

Hey this is what the site is all about!! helping one another to remember the past. Each time we help each other solve one mystery, another three pop up to take their place ? Di I have the piccy in pride of place in my home, cheers!!!

I've just been looking on the internet at many images that were in the forum as it was about 5 years ago and saw this picture so I've took the liberty of bringing it back in today's forum.

Dale End 1890
Dale_End.JPG

Lovely Di ! Dale End was once an interesting street - and is very old. Pity it doesn't have the same interest today. But Di's picture gives us a very good idea of how it once was. Thanks for posting Oldmohawk. Viv.

Back