• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Daimler

A foot note which may be of interest, just this week i was at hob moor ambulance station and it appears through the efforts of some ex ambulance men and the service thinking about heritage a lottery fund has been acquired and a round up of old vehicles is taking place to form a collection to be cared for in Nottingham. The old cream Bedford has gone over and finally in from the elements and to be restored is a lovely Ford Thames from 1956. Well done lads ! more info ,when i know more.

When I started on service in 1970s,We had the Bedford Ambulance.It was only the Reds that had the blue lights and two tones.They were adding blue lights to some of the older Ambulances,but they still had the bell on the front.Remember the new infux of Ambulances being delivered,They had the cots in the back instead of the stretchers,Cannot remember exactly the name of the company that carried out the outfitting of vehicles thing something like Hanlon,

Yes, it was Hanlon's.

They "tarted up" some of our old ambulances in the Nineties. It was an effort to save money. It didn't work though !

The first Birmingham ambulances to have 2 stretcher cots were bought in 1968, fleet numbers 214 and 258 reg numbers POM97G and POM98G. 214 was at Bristol Road and 258 at Henrietta Street,both had Lomas bodies The first Hanlon bodied Bedford J1's were bought in 1970. With regard to the Daimler ambulances,there were 499 made, 12 of which were bought by Birmingham. I may be a bit of an anorak,but I belong to the ambulance heritage society.We have in excess of 40 classic ambulances in our care,including an ex military Austin K2 an Austin K8 welfarer which is ex Birmingham.There is also a Humber Pullman,a Bedford Kz 4 Bedford J1's and 2 Morris commercials along with a number of Morris LD's. We have a web site www.ambulanceheritagesociety.com where photo's and information is available. I forgot to mention that we have 2 Daimlers,one in very nice condition and one under restoration.Malcolm

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that Malcolm - I have taken the liberty to make the link clickable.

Bernie

The Ambulance Heritage Society is at present trying to find a suitable location to display our vehicles and large amount of memorabilia and photo,s many of which are linked to Birmingham.I will keep you posted of any further developments.

Back