• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Daily Mail Boots And Shoes

great memories Alan, I was telling my boys over Christmas , how when we were young, we really had nothing, Happy New year mate. Paul

Yes i would dearly like to know whom ever they was they was a god send to our family of eight of us
And with the clothing we got lets just sat a big thank you for the good honest working people of that era whom made the contributions and a extra special thank you for our good old birmingham mail and they still great work for us brummies

‘Mail’ boots and socks for Birmingham children in late 1939. Viv.View attachment 131094
Oh! those metal studs: they could play havoc with parquet, linoleum and some soft floor coverings. :worried:
Actually I did have a pair of those type of boots (not donated but bought) which were for winter wear only, particularly very wet or snowy weather. They were not to be worm indoors I was informed. They could skid very easily on some stone, tiled or tarrazzo floors.

i had a pair of hobnail boots,they was not bmail. were dads. bit big butstill ,i has to keep up with thw fashion. like my mates:grinning:

Last edited:
Yes i would dearly like to know whom ever they was they was a god send to our family of eight of us
And with the clothing we got lets just sat a big thank you for the good honest working people of that era whom made the contributions and a extra special thank you for our good old birmingham mail and they still great work for us brummies
Reading this thread - I don't know of children in Warwickshire got boots or was it just cities? But as I was an only child I guess I most likely would not have qualified anyway. Mother was no longer around and father a soldier. so not much chance of brothers and sisters.
Of curiosity what footwear did girls get. I doubt they wanted hob nail boots! :eek:

We, in the technical 21st C, with the iNTERNET AND MOBILES, sometimes forget, that within living memory, children were bought up with nothing, but love, and handouts. This was not the unemployed, or skivers family's, but the "Working Poor", my dear old dad had 2 jobs, and my mom worked part time, but it was still a struggle with only 3 kids, how some others with larger families survived I cannot imagine. For all that, I only have very happy memories of my childhood, and wonderful Christmas's, though I think my dearest nan and provident cheques, had a hand in those ..

I can remember my Mother taking me to a building by Saltley gas works to get shoes, not boots, on more than one occasion. It was an old Victorian warehouse type building. We entered through a door at street level, then turned right, up a wooden staircase, to a counter, where the shoes were given out.

Steve.

I have just spoken to my brother.

He was born in January, 1940, so he is guessing that he was evacuated with Mom, in 40/41.
They went to stay at a farm by Halberton, just to the east of Tiverton, in Devon. They were only there a few months, because the farmer started making advances to my mother, so she headed back to Birmingham.

My brother and his wife took my mom and dad on holiday to Devon, many decades ago, and found the farm, which was visible from the village pub, where they were having lunch. It was pointed out to them by the Landlord who knew the family that farmed it.

Steve.

@Vivienne14 Somehow, I managed to post this in the wrong thread. Of course, it should have been in the Evacuation thread. thread.

Could someone in admin move it, please.

Steve.

Last edited:
Back