• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

dads evacuation

celia

master brummie
not sure if this is the right place to post this but here goes

my dad harry morrall was evauated to wales during the war
now im not sure where he went in wales or when he went
all i know is that he went to rookery road school

is there any way i can find out about my dads evauation

many thanx
celia

Celia
My Dad was evacuated to Cum Ammon (not sure about spelling),near Aberdare, South Wales, in 1940. He was 5 or 6 years old and went only when the bombardment of Handsworth was very bad.He was the only one from his class , he remembers. He says that a bus went aound all the local schools and picked them up. They were taken to the railway station, the train went to the south Wales Valleys.He didn't stay long; his parents missed him and perhaps the bombing had eased off.His mother had his new born baby sister to look after, and we still have the basket that she slept in the shelter. He went to find the family about 20 years ago, as they were kind to him, he found the daughter of the lady who looked after him.
He went to Bolton Road School so it's possible your Dad was on the same train, he may have gone to a different village. There may have been other evacuations at other times, but hope this helps.
Happy hunting
Lu

hello lolibell
think my dad was about was about four or five when he was evacuated
he went to rookery road infants and junior school and was evacuated to merthyr tydfil
not sure how long he was there for and i cant ask him as he isnt with us any more
but i di remember him saying he loved being there and was sorry to leave

celia

Hi Celia
I have a family of called Roach on my tree. Robert W. Roach was married to my gt grans sister,Lavinia Jones. Their son's middle name was Baden.Lived in Handsworth . Ring any bells?

I didn't know much about Dad's evacuation, interestingly enough his gt uncle in the states offered him a home over there, but it was declined.

Best regards
Lu

my grandmother celia her maiden name was roach her fathers name was henry and her mothers name was beatrice
im not sure if she had any brothers or sisters
not sure where my nan was born but i know she spent her later life in handsworth on mostyn road

Celia
I believe that Robert Baden Roach lived in Mary Road opposite my father's parents later on , perhaps in the 1960's.
Yes, they are likely to be related.
Anyway just thought I'd ask in case you had any Jones ancestors that you weren't sure of!
I'd like to find out about any evacuation records.
Thanks Lu

Back