• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Dad's Drawings

W

Wendy

These are some of my Dad's drawings from school in 1924. He was aged 13 at the time. They are from memorie and as you can see all the marks are 10. The school he attended was Bevington Road Aston. He was living in Bevington Road at the time. I find it interesting the items drawn also. I treasure these.

Dads_Drawings_9.jpg
Dads_Drawings_11.jpg
Dads_Drawings_10.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The marks are the first thing I noticed Moma, you must find the school. they could well like to see the standard of all those years ago:)

Those pictures are like a photographs very detailed - the standard I would would think would be faily high-

At school I was considered to be good at drawing - One time I drew a picture of a girl on a windy day - hair and clothing blowing forward - Mr George told me to paint it so as to hang on the wall - Couldn't paint for love nor money - he was so annoyed I had spoiled it - And I still can't paint LOL

:angel:
I just love those, as you say Moma P the subjects are history in themselves and the slandered is far above anything I could have drawn at that age.

Beryl you sound just like me.
Our art teacher Miss Wood entered one of my drawings in The Birmingham Mail School Art Competition when I was 9yrs old and I got a merit, years later my niece who attended the same school also had a painting entered. She did way better than I did and got a second for her 9 yrs age group.

Another teacher Miss Hastalow at another school loved my drawings, but insisted we all paint a black lined border around our work . Fatal four straight lines with no ruler or guide ya right !!!

I am beginning to think Chris we do have a lot in common - We both like words for one - I don't know about you - but I used to like acting in plays at school - always picked for part - not one bit shy then - More so now LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
:angel: Yep Beryl, that's me...
I played the lead in The Piped Piper, Alice in wonderland and was supposed to be Marion in Robin, however whenever it came time to kiss Robin I would get the giggles, so was told I was a silly little girl and lost the part to my best friend. Well I was only 9 not 19!

I do lots of 'Roll Playing' in my job with 'The Rug Rats', read stories and sing rhymes out loud at mat time and love 'Dress Up' days.

Moma P, A rare talent we don't see today........art expressed with a pencil years ago you had all different grades .......todays kids have not got a clue...........and as to drawing with charcoal or indian ink.........on another planet

Thank you, yes I agree, I have always loved these drawings.

Back