• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

dads 2 pubs.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi folks. thought you may like to see these pics. the 1st one is the globe in blews st newtown. this is where my dad was born 80 years ago this january. the globe is still there and dad lives less than a ten min walk away. how strange he feels when he goes in there to play against them in dominos. the 2nd is of the rose and crown that was in hingeston st. this is where dad was living at the time of his christening. no wonder he grew up to like his ale darts and dominos. :)

Attachments

• Newtown The Globe & the Lord Byron.jpg
    Newtown The Globe & the Lord Byron.jpg
    330.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Hockley Rose & Crown Hingston St.jpg
    Hockley Rose & Crown Hingston St.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 3
Hi Wales

Very interesting pictures - thank you for sharing! Ingeston Street - can you help please. Would be interested to know where this street was as I am sure my husband's family used to live there. They always refered to "The Flat" which I think was an area somewhere in Hockley. Am I on the right track?

Wales - it seems that we have so much in common and I always am very interested in your posts as 9 times out of 10 I too have an interest.

Keep them coming.

Best wishes.

Jules

hi jules. who following who around lol. yes i think hingeston st would be classed as hockly B18. what we as kids called the flat was just a bit further down at the bottom of ickneild st. if you want to throw any other streets or roads at me whats the chances we have them in common too. wales ps have you got any numbers of hingeston or dates your hubbys family were there.

Lyn,

Hope the pub stays open for your dad. It would be really sad if that one went.

Ann

hi ann. its still a thriving pub. just had a thought. dad will be 80 as the clock strikes midnight 2009. (he was born as they were striking) i am thinking of getting him and the family down to the globe for a birthday celebration.

hi ann. its still a thriving pub. just had a thought. dad will be 80 as the clock strikes midnight 2009. (he was born as they were striking) i am thinking of getting him and the family down to the globe for a birthday celebration.

As who was striking wales - the miners? :D

Hi Lyn

Just asked Hubby about Hingeston Street. He cannot remember who lived there. His nan, Lilian Perry, lived in Rudge Walk. It may have been his parents. Will have to check the facts with my mum in law and come back to you.

Jules

Lyn,
That will be a great place to celebrate his milestone birthday. Another party for you to plan! Oh no!

Ann

ok. jules will talk soon. ann dont forget ive got my daughters 18th next month. i knew i should never have given up the day job lol :)

Back