• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

D.N.A. TESTING

has anyone done d.n.a. testing?? where do you start many thanks
I did ancestry’s DNA and have found relatives 2nd cousins. I also found my dad before taking the test and the dna result confirmed parentage. I found I had a high percentage of Irish dna which I didn’t expect and 32% English a lot lower than I thought.

I did ancestry’s DNA and have found relatives 2nd cousins. I also found my dad before taking the test and the dna result confirmed parentage. I found I had a high percentage of Irish dna which I didn’t expect and 32% English a lot lower than I thought.

And have you found that your DNA results correspond to your family tree research?

Oh my dads
And have you found that your DNA results correspond to your family tree research?
On my dads side yes matches came up via an Edith May Norbury. I couldn’t figure out how we were matched at first as I had believed alberts mum was Martha redfearn. then I discovered my dads dad wasn’t born norbury but Abraham’s. His dad changed names and when he split with Edith, Albert, my dads dad, reverted back to his mums name of norbury. There are several dna matches via the Abraham’s and norburys.

On my mums side her mum was a Swinden from Birmingham, her dad William Swinden, his dad William Swinden. Senior William had a son Harold, brother of my nans dad, who had a daughter Agnes and she had a son John. John was the linked match. William also had Florence or florry and she too was a link to a dna match.

Also a link to Matilda Mayes son Albert Johns there was a dna match. And also via Violet Johns, Matilda’s daughter. I made contact with the one via Albert johns but she knew nothing more than I did on Matilda. Matilda was mother of May Elizabeth johns who married my grandads dad. May registered Matilda’s death. I also have a Hadley dna match via Charles Frederick Hadley and Emily portlock. Emily married john William Hadley who was my grandads grandad.

I have links with my grans mum who was always known as Gertrude Cummings. She married William Swinden. On the 1939 census her date of birth was 1888. Her dad was john Cummings on the marriage record. Gertrude also had a brother John Cummings with her on the 1939 census. However there were a ton of trees listing her mums mmn as page and she married James. They did not have a son called john. I was getting dna matches to john Cummings who actually married or got together with a Frances/fanny Brayne/brain. They had a daughter Gertrude Brayne and a son John Cummings. Gertrude I think took on the Cummings name. There was also Alice Amelia cummins and Emily Brayne. I had dna links with people linked to Emily Brayne. Gertrude was born 1890 tho so unsure why the census is 1888.

Last edited:
  • Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Also Devon and Cornwall and West Midlands, Warwickshire and Worcestershire were my main areas under my English percentage. Mums parents Birmingham, and grandads parents Birmingham, he was a Hadley. Hadley ancestors all around Birmingham, Worcestershire and Sheffield. had 9% Jewish which I assume is via Abraham’s and potentially via another ancestor on nans side. There is Irish ancestry on both sides of the family. Dads side mainly Devon based.

Last edited:
Back