• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cyril Road - Small Heath

This photograph shows Cyril Road in Small Heath during 1906. The photograph is taken from the northern end of the street, the photographer would have been stood close to the bank on the corner of Coventry Road. I think the building on the corner is still trading as a bank - well, it was up until recently.
The chimney in the distance may be on the other side of the railway in Montgomery Street.
I have placed a 'modern' inset so you can compare the road from Edwardian times to the 21st century. Personally, I think parked cars are a blot on the landscape.
The large house to the right was occupied by the pawnbroker Louise Adelaide Jephcott. She succeeded her mother Elizabeth as the head of the business. Her mother was originally from Leyland to the south of Preston in Lancashire. The family had premises in Bromsgrove Street which, in the 19th century, was operated by her husband William who was a watchmaker and pawnbroker.
Also living on that side of the road at this time was the Lincolnshire-born tailor Levi Green and William Turner, a watch and clock repairer.

Cyril Road Pawnbroker.jpg

fantastic...i would have laid money on it that the pawnbrokers was originally a pub but i am quite sure you would no if it was keiron...

This photograph was also taken from the Coventry Road end of Cyril Road. Not quite just a row of terraced houses. There is some interest in the painted wall sign at No.8. Indeed, it may have been painted by the occupier who was the house painter James Gibbons. He had previously lived at No.171 Herbert Road. There is also a tram car sign - I know the forum has a few tram/bus enthusiasts.Cyril Road House Painter.jpg

Lyn
The building seems to have been built as a pawnbrokers, or , at least as a shop. It first appears in Kellys between the 1900 & 1903 additions and the rate books of 1901 originally list it under William Jephcott, her father, but this is crossed out and her name inserted. The 1901 census lists her (26 years) living at 50,51 Bromsgrove st with her mother (62 year old widow pawnbroker). So it seems to be a family trade, and Louisa took it over on her father's death

Back