• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Cyclo Gear, Aston-who didn't work there?!

T

TomHD

Did anyone out there work ot the Cyclo Gear back in 1950-1960's ??? Seemed as though everone did when I speak to my mom & Dad! Research is on their behalf, they are both in their 70's now.
Shout out if you knew them or worked their or maybe your parents/family member worked there? ask them please?

My mom (pre-marriage) Margaret Cartwright, brother's Fred, Harry, John & Alf
My Dad is Tom Davis (tommy) brothers Eric, Arther & Alan

Love to hear from you!
Melissa x :)

Mellisa, only this week I bought a 1963 'Cycling' magazine on Ebay because it had some nice photos of me when I was 'sweet' 19, but on page 10 it had this:- Though I didn't know anyone that worked there, hope it helps? Graham.

2766278050102465904S500x500Q85.jpg

Thank for the reply, waqs the pic supposed to be of staff?? did you post wrong image?? Thanks again, Melissa

My first real 'racing' bike was a Freddy Grubb, and it had a Benelux gear, I thought is was made somewhere in Belgium beacuse of the name, now I know better.
I still use a Cyclo chain link extractor I bought from Tower Cycles in 1972.

I still use a Cyclo chain link extractor I bought from Tower Cycles in 1972.

I was/am good friends with Alan Richards of Tower Cycles, he took over the shop after his dad passed away. He now lives in France and we're still in touch. Graham.

Alan Richards sort of helped me into becoming a competitive cyclist. I wanted to buy a pair of toe-clips, and the only shop I knew that sold such exoctic things was Tower Cycles, he advised me to join a cycling club and that started me off down the road to being a grumpy old bike rider ! Send him my regards when you see him.
It was a proper old bike shop, him Mum really ran it as Alan spent his time buildind DIY car kits and getting RRR records on a tandam with (I think) Tony Shardlow

Malcog, I'll do that and try and get him to join in on the forum but you'll have to send me a private instant message with your real name as I don't think he would recognise 'Malcog',:) Graham.

Did anyone out there work ot the Cyclo Gear back in 1950-1960's ??? Seemed as though everone did when I speak to my mom & Dad! Research is on their behalf, they are both in their 70's now.
Shout out if you knew them or worked their or maybe your parents/family member worked there? ask them please?

Love to hear from you!

my father was forman at cyclo gear
His name was Albert Smallwood

Love to hear from you!
Melissa, are you still looking for folk from cyclo gear company

Melissa, are you still looking for folk from cyclo gear company
Quibell, Please note that Melissa wrote that message about 10 years ago, and her logo is showing as a guest & not visited the site for some time.
RobT

Love to hear from you!
Hi Melissa,
My Mother, Father,Grandad and Auntie and uncle as well as other family members. My Mother: Sylvia (Maiden name) Tidswell, Father: Graham Norton, Grandad: Frank James Tidswell (known as Gentleman Jim) Auntie: Nora Byrne (Maiden name Tidswell), Uncle Tommy Byrne plus many more Nortons and Tidswells

Hi Melissa,
My Mother, Father,Grandad and Auntie and uncle as well as other family members. My Mother: Sylvia (Maiden name) Tidswell, Father: Graham Norton, Grandad: Frank James Tidswell (known as Gentleman Jim) Auntie: Nora Byrne (Maiden name Tidswell), Uncle Tommy Byrne plus many more Nortons and Tidswells
I repeat my message from earlier in this thread
Nortyboy, Please note that Melissa wrote that message about 10 years ago, and her logo is showing as a guest & not visited the site for some time.
Quibell, recently posted on this thread and they might be interested in chatting about workers at Cyclo Gear.
RobT

Hello from France
My Grand Father (Albert Raimond) was the Man who created the Cyclo gear in UK He have another factory in St Priest en Jarez France (border to St Etienne at 50 km to Lyon) CYCLO happy to have some photos from Cyclo i have some me to...My family have a House Handworth. Birmingham ..but i don't fine the exact address i must fine it soon ...I hope
first photo from me no the last
Hope i get some infos moreCyclo gear.jpg

About 30 mins ago I posted a photo that was not on this thread. Since I have discovered that Lynn posted it on April 18th (#16) on a similar thread entitled "Norma Quibell...Cyclo Gear Potters Hill Aston" I have deleted it. Should the two threads be combined?

Last edited:
Hi Melissa,
Was any of your Tidswell relatives a butcher in Handsworth? My Mum Jeannette , the daughter of Louis de Camillis( Cyclo gear owner )remembers this name.

Alan Richards sort of helped me into becoming a competitive cyclist. I wanted to buy a pair of toe-clips, and the only shop I knew that sold such exoctic things was Tower Cycles, he advised me to join a cycling club and that started me off down the road to being a grumpy old bike rider ! Send him my regards when you see him.
It was a proper old bike shop, him Mum really ran it as Alan spent his time buildind DIY car kits and getting RRR records on a tandam with (I think) Tony Shardlow
Alan sadly passed away in France several years ago now I understand.

Love to hear from you!
My father was the tool setter and Forman at cyclo gerar Aston

Back