• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cycling in Birmingham QUIZ

A cyclist in Birmingham ... just for a bit of fun :
Q.1 On which road is he cycling?
Q2. Name the church?
Q3. What year is it?
I'll post the answers after you have a think about it!

Cyclist.jpg

Looking at the bunting displayed I would hazard a guess at 1902, (Edward VII coronation). Location Small Heath Coventry Road? No idea of church.

Looking at the bunting displayed I would hazard a guess at 1902, (Edward VII coronation). Location Small Heath Coventry Road? No idea of church.

I suppose it would be cheating to search for Garratt in Kelly’s Directory. But Church might be a bit misleading?

Skirt lengths are often a useful guide to old photographs. However, in the early 20th century older women tended to remain rather conservative so here the cloth is dragging along the ground. The young woman on the right is a trend-setter and has her ankles on display. I thought that the tram-spotters might have attempted a stab at the date. The bunting was spotted by jmadone - it is celebrating the coronation of King George V in June 1911. It is the Congregational Church at Small Heath so the cyclist is riding along Coventry Road. Hope you enjoyed the puzzle.

That tram looks like a steam tram I can see no overhead wires. What date were the steam trams done away with I thought it was about 1906. Not disputing your answer, because I had spotted the ankles, but I was thrown by the tram.
Bob

That tram looks like a steam tram I can see no overhead wires. What date were the steam trams done away with I thought it was about 1906. Not disputing your answer, because I had spotted the ankles, but I was thrown by the tram.
Bob
We need a tram expert here! The date was written on the back of the image - from what is generally a well-catalogued collection. However, it could be wrong - though that skirt length would be a bit racey for pre-1906!

The section of Coventry Road from Kelly’s 1913. The Wesleyan Chapel was built in 1876 and described in the Press, perhaps a thread for lost Chapels and Churches is in order?

D8C4982E-5C9F-434F-A26D-D1EA3B6DEE33.jpeg

The post by jmadone (post 3) suggest 1902. It may be Queen Victoria's Jubilee (1887) but my money is on the 1902 date.
It does appear to be a steam tram. There are no traction poles visible to support the overhead wiring.
Steam trams ceased in this area in 1904 when City of Birmingham tramways introduced their electric trams.

The post by jmadone (post 3) suggest 1902. It may be Queen Victoria's Jubilee (1887) but my money is on the 1902 date.
It does appear to be a steam tram. There are no traction poles visible to support the overhead wiring.
Steam trams ceased in this area in 1904 when City of Birmingham tramways introduced their electric trams.

I think you are dead on there Alan. The 1900 Kelly gives Garrett the Tailor as 354, but he disappears before 1908.

Back