• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cycling fatality on Stratford Road

Frederick George Amphlett was born 8 May 1895 to Frederick (a Police Inspector) and Ellen (nee Gibbs). He died 23rd October 1926, leaving wife Frances Gertrude "Gertie" (nee Hands) and two daughters, Barbara b.1921 and Freda b.1923.

Attachments

• Frederick George Amphlett.jpg
    Frederick George Amphlett.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 8
Here's the only newspaper article that actually refers to the incident rather than the funeral.

Maurice :)
View attachment 142899

This has happened to me twice but, unlike Frederick Amphlett, I was fortunately wearing a helmet on both occasions. The first time was pretty awful - there is a photograph of me post-crash and it is too 'orrible to post. I was whizzing along at around 40kph when a pedestrian just walked off the pavement. The next thing I know I am being stretchered into an ambulance. However, I did the only thing a cyclist should do .... I asked the paramedic if my bike was OK. It took about six months to recover properly. The pedestrian was also badly hurt and lost plenty of teeth - ouch.

Back