• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cycle Speedways

I started the cycle speedway track in Balsall Heath road, That came to be known as the Birmingham Lions, after watching a school mate racing for the Panthers on the BSA site, I came back from there and marked out the track and it all started from then on, I use to ride for the Lions but was no good. I never been any good at any sport, But I am chuffed I was the founder.

That's a great photo Viv! I do remember that it was Bromford Bridge. There were many tracks and I rode some of them. I recall Saltley Saints had a great track to ride. I don't recall the name of the road but it was on the Number 8 bus route going up to Small Heath from Saltley across from a paint factory.
Dave A

A couple of photos of the track in Balsall Heath Road on the old bomb peck.

Charlie.

Attachments

• Balsall Heath Road Cycle Track.jpg
    Balsall Heath Road Cycle Track.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 32
  • Balsall Heath Road Cycle Track.1.jpg
    Balsall Heath Road Cycle Track.1.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 34
Does anyone have any information about a cycle speedway team, although based in, I believe, Bell Green Lane, Wythall, were active in the Birmingham league in the late 40s ?
Many thanks

There used to be a track om Wellesbourne Rd in Handsworth. Going down from Hamstead Rd Wellesbourne makes a left turn. On the right-hand side there was a gravel driveway that lead to a track. Nothing formal but a few of us would ride there on put together bikes occasionally. I would say about mid 50's.

There used to be a track om Wellesbourne Rd in Handsworth. Going down from Hamstead Rd Wellesbourne makes a left turn. On the right-hand side there was a gravel driveway that lead to a track. Nothing formal but a few of us would ride there on put together bikes occasionally. I would say about mid 50's.
I raced on a track in that area...you could see Hamstead Colliery from there. Incidentally, at a school reunion back in 2003, one of my classmates showed me a scorecard from one of the meetings at that track, I didn't do very well on that day..
Dave A

I raced on a track in that area...you could see Hamstead Colliery from there. Incidentally, at a school reunion back in 2003, one of my classmates showed me a scorecard from one of the meetings at that track, I didn't do very well on that day..
Dave A
Most of my friends were two years older so I also never did very well :cool:

Does anyone have any information about a cycle speedway team, although based in, I believe, Bell Green Lane, Wythall, were active in the Birmingham league in the late 40s ?
Many thanks
Hi Derek, I’d love to know more info about it too or if there were ever any photos taken there? How do you know about it? Thanks

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forum.
Have you tried the newspaper archive? Free to browse but pay to view. I subscribe so will see if I can find any pics later.

That’s kind of you thanks. Did try the archive at Warwick university and looked through most of the the speedway gazettes but not found anything as yet

Back