• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cycle Speedways

charliewag

knowlegable brummie
I started the cycle speedway track in Balsall Heath road, That came to be known as the Birmingham Lions, after watching a school mate racing for the Panthers on the BSA site, I came back from there and marked out the track and it all started from then on, I use to ride for the Lions but was no good. I never been any good at any sport, But I am chuffed I was the founder.

Vivienne14

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is a 1950 Birmingham Mail photo which shows the new cycle speedway track at Bromford. Anyone remember it ? Viv.

image.jpeg

adap2it

master brummie
That's a great photo Viv! I do remember that it was Bromford Bridge. There were many tracks and I rode some of them. I recall Saltley Saints had a great track to ride. I don't recall the name of the road but it was on the Number 8 bus route going up to Small Heath from Saltley across from a paint factory.
Dave A