• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Cycle Regiment or Norh Yorkshire Uniform

castalla

master brummie
b1ddc699-bf77-4c93-b8d2-6a9d6faf6866.jpg
Photo of my GrandfUather Denis W Breakwell Lived at 24 Grange Road Kings Heath.This Photo taken between 1914 & 1918 in the uniform of either the Army Cycle Regiment or North Yorkshire Regiment how a brummy ended up in a yorkshire regiment can´t find out as he lived and worked all his life in Birmingham.

It was quite common for men to end up in regiments that had their origins in parts of the country far from their own castalla. Is there any chance you could make the photo bigger, his cap badge looks more of a "blob" than that of the Cycle Regiment would.

Only one man named Denis Breakwell served overseas with the British Army in WW1. When he first went (on 14 July 1915) he was serving as Private 3187 of the Army Cyclist Corps. He later served with the Duke of Wellington's (West Riding Regiment) and then the Royal Defence Corps. This info is from his medal index card, which you can find at Ancestry or at the National Archives 'Discovery' website. Sadly it does not seem that his service record has survived but he has entries in the rolls of the 1914-15 Star and the British War and Victory Medals.

Back