• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Cycle racing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surrey hosts again the arrival of hundreds of cyclists on Sunday 4th August for both amateur, charity-raising, cyclists and (separately) professionals. The latter is usually shown on television and known as the Prudential Ride London/Surrey Classic Race. Highlights are ascents up Leith Hill and Box Hill. Surrey has been a centre for cycling since the 2012 Olympic Games. Dave.

The two riders I mentioned in a previous post (30) are living up to my hopes. Currently Nos. 1 and 2 in the General Classification. I am also delighted that France is making good progress in what is, after all, its showcase sport.
I read the other day that Russia does not consider cycling a sport. No prizes what I guess. However someone should remind them that cycling is an older sport than many currently to be seen in the Olympic Games!!

The French seem to be reclaiming their race this year. It's turning into the Alaphillipe and Pinot show!
Yes but don't write off Thomas, just yet. ;)Anyway, the race is, as usual for those interested, quite exciting.
The last ten days usually sorts out the best - and fittest.
Today being a rest day for the Tour and the sun hiding away here - although it is still 22C - it is a day to get some outdoor work done.

Don't worry Geraint will come back,it was a bit of a mix up yesterday but he still pulled back a good few seconds on Alaphillipe.The next 5days it will all happen

Sorry to all us Brits, BUT Viva LaFrance, Pinot or Alaphillipe WILL win. The Welshman will not even make the podium this year. All this cause by Froome blowing his nose on a training ride!!!! By the way, Sir Brailsford asked me to help out, but I am just not in shape this year HaHa!!. By the way, this subject is on topic Dan MARTIN IS A 100% BRUMMIE

Attachments

• 06 Bates BAR Elphant rock 001.jpg
    06 Bates BAR Elphant rock 001.jpg
    514.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Unfortunately, Old Brit, Pinot will not be on the podium in Paris. Sadly he seems to have some problems with a leg. He tried to soldier on but at 14.00 (13.00 hours UTC) he regrettably abandoned the race. Bad news for him, his team FDJ and of course France.

Update at 14.46 (13.46UTC) - apparently French tv reports that it is a torn muscle on his left thigh!

The race was stopped later due to a severe hailstorm made it far too dangerous for the cyclists.

Last edited:
At the start of today's stage Dan Martin was in 15th. Place. Good really, and he has been seen quite a few times during the Tour.

Update; Dan made 18th. place in the final run up to Paris.

Last edited:
Stage win for Nibali.
Tour winner (providing he actually gets to the finish in Paris ;)) is Egon Bernal (Ineos) and second, (with the above proviso) is Geraint Thomas (Ineos). Great day for Ineos (formerly SKy) and I bet Chris Froome is celebrating as well.
Steven Kruijswijk (Jumbo-Visma) makes third podium place.

Disappointing for Julian Allaphillipe, (DQT) who ranks 5th. place after having held the yellow jersey for many days. However a very respectable achievement and pleasing for France.

I think that Chris Froome blowing his nose on a training run and crashing, altered the whole TDF this year. Sir Brailsford must have cursed that one. I, of course, offered to help him out this year in place of Froome, but he declined HaHa!! BUT I do think that Froome Thomas and Bernal would have finished in that order

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 5
Actually. given the age and thinner air in the high Alps, which suited Bernal, maybe Chris, who has little to prove, might not have been first. Anyway Dave Brailsford can certainly pick winners! I wonder if he is as good on lottery numbers? :)

Actually. given the age and thinner air in the high Alps, which suited Bernal, maybe Chris, who has little to prove, might not have been first. Anyway,
Actually. given the age and thinner air in the high Alps, which suited Bernal, maybe Chris, who has little to prove, might not have been first. Anyway Dave Brailsford can certainly pick winners! I wonder if he is as good on lottery numbers? :)
Our house is 6500F higher than most of the Alps. Every day I ride down to Denver Colorado 5200f then have to climb back up Not bad for an 86 year old Brummie Eh? BUT Good for old legs We have ALPS right here in Colorado!!!!
Dave Brailsford can certainly pick winners! I wonder if he is as good on lottery numbers? :)

Attachments

• JC4.jpg
    JC4.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 7
  • CIMG1235.JPG
    CIMG1235.JPG
    382.9 KB · Views: 7
I guess they don't call Denver the 'mile high city' for no good reason. Then of course you have the great divide. I guess I would find it better down on the front range. :D

I watched every minute of le Tour and this is the first time in many years that I have been
unpatriotic. I would have loved Geriant to have got his second title but my heart went out to Alaphillipe and I willed him to pull something back the last 2 days, he has ridden his heart out, and it was about time the French ,whose hearts are in le tour, had a winner.
One more day to go and it will be the end of my favourite 21 days in July but then 24th August the Vuelta

I also look forward to La Vuelta, Alberta, but whilst most enjoyable does not have the special WOW factor of Le Tour. For those, who watch - and it seems many do - for the scenery, then again the T de F is beyond compare, it has it all. I suppose the big plus for Britain is Ineos getting first and second places on the Podium in Paris.

I've watched it most days sometimes recording it and watching it later in the evenings. I know nothing about cycle racing but this year with the help of Google learnt what 'GC', 'domestique' and many other terms meant.

I do find myself looking a lot at the scenery and was also surprised how close the spectators get particularly towards the top of hill-climbs. They would have annoyed me if I had been cycling ... :grinning:

Yes, it seems every sport, hobby and many other things has its jargon. Glad you enjoyed it OM and it does help if you comprehend what the commentators are talking about. The Tour has been on UK terrestrial tv since the mid 1980's initially Channel 4 and then ITV4. The screening times have greatly improved over the years and this year (2019) has been very comprehensive. I started my interest back when I was 18, in the mid 1950's and in the RAF. I used to listen on French radio, but as with all sports commentaries the speech was often frantic - even almost unintelligible at times - but I guess it was 'all the fun of the fair' so to speak.

As a life long cyclist, I started in 1946 after the War, Roy Packwood, who lived next door to me in Yardley, was a Member of the Midland C&AC like JOHN BISHOP (also a member of Brum History Forum) .got me to join the club. I like many other Midland members now have been cycling all our lives. I raced a lot in Brum and did pretty good. I am now 86 and I still think that been a cyclist and keeping fit and in shape has got me to this point in my life. The TDF, of course, is a great race and fun to watch, but some of the stages can be a bit boring. (breakaways that get caught at the last min etc) I have now lived in the Rocky Mountains in Colorado USA since 1962 I have ridden "me bloody boik" all over them, they are almost as grand as the ones in France. I recommend cycling to all, its a great way to see the country and stay in shape. I have mentioned this before, but the Midland C&AC had a member, "Charles Holland" born in Staffordshire, who was one of the FIRST Brits to ride the TDF in 1937 without any team support. If you are interested in how it was back then and the life of a racing cyclist that raced in and around Brum, the book "Dancing Uphill" By his daughter, Frances Holland, is well worth a read. (Amazon did have it at one time) The photo below is "Charles Holland" check out his legs! ALSO, A member of this forum, John Bishop, did feature the Midland C&AC on this forum a while back, (look it up) interesting to read about a true Birmingham cycling club, one of the oldest in the country, from the 1800s, still going strong. many members in their 80s now (LIKE ME), have been lifelong members and still riding their bikes!!!

Attachments

• Twin tube frame 001.jpg
    Twin tube frame 001.jpg
    779.3 KB · Views: 2
Come on John Bishop, show some support make some comment about your 80th Birthday ride and the club

We cycling afficionados have not too long to wait - until the 24th. August (Saturday) for the Vuelta d'Espana.
The route:
Should be a few Union Jacks in the Benidorm stage. ;)

The Prudential Ride London Surrey 100 cycle event was on this morning. Literally thousands of cyclists riding a hundred miles for charity. Three photos taken at West Horsley, Surrey are shown. Saw a few tandems and Bromptons (folding bikes). The professional race is on this afternoon and will be televised. Dave.
P1000486 (2).JPGP1000497 (2).JPGP1000512 (2).JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back