• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cutler - Glass Merchants

my name is jennifer ann tipper. Née cutler. Daughter of PETER CUTLER. Sister of clive Cutler. Many memories of pearce and CUTLER when the firm was in broad street and then POPE ST

Welcome Jennifer. If you’d like to share any memories, please do so as members are always interested to read the first-hand experiences of descendants people mentioned on the forum. Your memories of the firm would be a good addition to this thread. Presumably it’s your father in post #20? Thank you for posting. Viv.

Last edited:
I've visited the last Pearce and Cutler glass factory many times. It's just around the corner from the Mint, and the old Bullpitts sites. Heres a few photo's, and I think they moved to Witton from here?

DSCF2077.jpg

DSCF2078.jpg

DSCF2103.jpg

77 Pope street

DSCF1682.jpg

DSCF5558.jpg

DSCF4120.jpg

Huge place, full of history. Sadly it's now falling to vandals, metal thieves and nature. It's a sad sight with almost daily flooding(certainly in this weather) and visits by unwanted drug users. Not a nice place.:cry:
A little late on the thread, I know but my dad , Charlie South worked there for a long time. Had a great fishing club, , contests all over, always stopped at a pub with play area for the kids on the way back. Dave Poole and Hutch singing rock n roll non stop from the back seats of the ' usually) Glideaways 'charabang'

my name is jennifer ann tipper. Née cutler. Daughter of PETER CUTLER. Sister of clive Cutler. Many memories of pearce and CUTLER when the firm was in broad street and then POPE ST
Hi Jennifer. I am also very late to this thread, but have a few distinctive memories of visits to Pierce and Cutler.

In the mid to late '60s while I was still at school, into my driving years and the early 70s, I worked part-time for Wheelers Timber and Builders Merchants in Hampton Road off Slade Road, before their move down to Short Heath Road.

We made many pickups of sheets of glass in Wheelers company vehicles and I actually assisted with some construction at Pierce and Cutler with Wheeler's owner Bernard "Bunny" Bromley, of a partition wall in one building. I think that was the location off Broad Street. Wheelers purchased all of their glass from Pierce and Cutler in those days.

One time, I drove an aging Wheelers Austin/Morris LD van there. It was an ex-Erdington Laundry van. It had been modified to carry various building materials including a glass rack inside that was bolted in place to the wooden van body structure. We loaded several sheets of glass, probably to about a thickness of about 6", which would have weighed well over 1/2 ton. I strapped it all securely to the rack and trundled off towards Erdington.

I turned the first corner and there was a huge bang in the back of the van, as the glass rack with its load broke completely free of the van and fell over. When I got out and looked in the back, not a single sheet of glass had as much as a chip! That was my lucky day. However, it took forever to unload and reload that day. Thankfully one or two of the employees gave me a hand!

I have extremely clear recall of Pierce and Cutlers and Wheelers having a real issue with one particular sheet of glass in which it seemed that the entire batch been overtreated. It was "Autumn Leaf" pattern, which was a popular almost frosted leaf design use to allow light in, while providing relative privacy. I believe that we went through something like 27 sheets of glass between us and the Pierce and Cutler staff workers to cut a single piece for the front door of a house off Marsh Lane in Erdington.

No matter who attempted the cut, the glass broke every time until one day at Wheelers' yard, I managed to cut the requisite sized piece. I was so proud, happy and relieved, that I wouldn't let anyone near it and I delivered it to the house myself, with phoned instructions before I left the yard, for the fellow to have the opening ready.

He installed it straight away into a nice bed of linseed oil putty, as I stood and watched. He carefully tacked it in place and installed the trim. All was well until he shut the door and the glass shattered! Back to the drawing board and a different pattern was finally chosen and used with no issues! I think that was the last piece of Autumn Leaf that I ever cut!

I have an excellent long term memory, but honestly apart from the usual exchange of greetings and invoices with those releasing the glass to us at the shop floor, I don't recall any names. However, I do remember assisting with construction of the partition wall and that darn piece of "Autumn Leaf" glass. It think it was 32oz since it was for a door rather than a window (24 oz), but can't be sure.

Hi Jennifer most of my family including myself worked at Pearce and Cutlers the Betts, Poole’s and the Wards . At pope street, Broad street and Witton. My dad started as a beveller and then became a van driver. He used to take Clive out in the van on deliveries. When I left school a position was created for me in the office . My cousins worked in the factory. Mr Peter(as he was known) was a lovely man and I believe he was about to retire not long after I joined. My dad and uncles were there till retirement and we all had such good memories

A little late on the thread, I know but my dad , Charlie South worked there for a long time. Had a great fishing club, , contests all over, always stopped at a pub with play area for the kids on the way back. Dave Poole and Hutch singing rock n roll non stop from the back seats of the ' usually) Glideaways 'charabang'
My dad was dave Poole we used to go on the contests all the time lol had to be quiet or we would scare the fish

Back