• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cutler Family Bartley Green-schools-

IMG_20140110_0001.jpgthis is the photo promised with my St Michaels Badge, around 1954, aged about 7 yrs, Taken at old St Michaels School in Bartley Green Old village.Paull Stacey

Re: Bartley Green-schools-cutler Family

Hi Phil, Gillian was the girl who owned Gillians Hairdressers in the village. I believe the hairdressers was in the corner beside Hudsons.
Hi, my girlfriend worked at Gillian's. We celebrate our Ruby wedding anniversary next year. Gillian Fogg was the owner. Her maiden name was Chinn

Hi Carol,

Some time ago you were kind enough to send me a photo of your Great Uncle Alfred in Uniform. As part of the Great War Centenary commemorations we are marking the centenary of the death of each of the nineteen fallen from Bartley Green. Your Great Uncle's death on September 24th 1915 is the first of these centenaries and we are marking this with a short service and wreath laying. I would very much like to invite you to this event formally on behalf the Bartley Green Remembrance Committee. I hope these details for you are still current and would be grateful if you could get back to me through this forum.

Kind regards

Paul Finegan

I remember the forge from the 50's we kids at st michaels would sometimes go and stand by the fire in winter if the farrier was'nt too busy, I seem to remember him as old (I would be 5/6) grey moustache, I think glass's, I seem to remember the forge being between the old church school with the iron railings and the cafe by the tram terminus and clock, directly across the road was the butchers and a green grocer. On the bend into field lane facing the church was a hardware store with a large water tower, who also sold pets, rabbits etc. I remember them knocking down the old cottage's in adams hill and the libary being built at the top of adams hill, and behind were some old houses with plum trees and apple trees and gooseberry bushes where all the village kids would go scrumping, the village bobby lived down by the cock inn facing the prefabs. paul stacey

My dad and his brother went to Bartley Green School in the 1930's. It was in Adams Hill, I believe.
Here are two photographs from that era.
I was in the same class as David cutler my name is ken leaning lived in ludford rd

Attachments

• IMG-20200210-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20200210-WA0001.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 19

Carol,
The Cutlers,seem familiar to me,and they lived at No.12 Adams Hill,that was one of the old cottages that used to be at the top end.
If I have it right they lived next door to the Potter's.
I was in same class as Dave cutler early 60s my mama is ken leaning lived in ludford rd

Could anyone tell me the names of any primary and secondary schools that would have been in Bartley Green (around Jiggins Lane) in the period 1930-1945?

Also if anyone has any information about Arthur Cutler (wife Louisa, daughter Barbara) who lived in Bartley Green? Before he died in 1952, he worked at the Motorcycle works. His father was Samuel Cutler and there were at least 10 children - but I think they had all died by the 50's.

Thanks - I'm really enjoying this site - glad to have found it.
I was in same class as Dave cutler early60s my name ken leaning

St Micheal's School was the only village school, it was adjacent to the St Micheal's Church, with annex's across the road, and beside the Vicarage. Mr Gurney was the incumbent, but I was very small in 1953, and went to it for 5 years, it moved to the new, modern school in 1956 I believe, it was on the corner of Field lane, and the road to the reservoir, Jiggins Lane was down the village. Of course I only lived there in the 50's, and never heard of any other school, George V , is in the new St Micheal's now. Paul

I was in same class as Dave cutler early60s my name ken leaning
I was in the same class as Dave Cutler too, I remember him as being a big strong lad, he supported Port Vale football team if I remember right, and I was at school with Kenny Leaning from about 8 years old, Kenny was the goal keeper in the Woodgate Juniors football team, others in my year, Freddy Collins, Dave Royston and "titchy" Brennan....Jimmy Reading

Last edited:
Could anyone tell me the names of any primary and secondary schools that would have been in Bartley Green (around Jiggins Lane) in the period 1930-1945?

Also if anyone has any information about Arthur Cutler (wife Louisa, daughter Barbara) who lived in Bartley Green? Before he died in 1952, he worked at the Motorcycle works. His father was Samuel Cutler and there were at least 10 children - but I think they had all died by the 50's.

Thanks - I'm really enjoying this site - glad to have found it.
I know the Cutlers from BG.

That would be Billy Pearson. lived at 28 Romsley Road. Never saw much of him as I am quite a bit younger.
I remember Keith Whitehouse and I recall he had 3 -4 brothers. Not to be messed with if i'm correct A family called Williamson lived across the road from us. Two lads Melvin & Grenville. Always had nice cars, 4.2 Jaguars and E-Types. I read you lived in the house by the large grassed area. I don't know the names of your sisters. Did you know Helen Winfield? just up from the Farmers who were at the other end of the grassed area in Romsley / Offmoor road. Do you remember the Lowe family? Jean Perry; Roger Cook? Jacqueine Crowson, Lynette Vinter, Terry Meddings, John Cook, Ronnie Price-Hunt, The Broadbent's in Adams Hill, our own local councillor, John Lines.
Paul Broadbent ???

Hi Paul, I only met Mark on that one occasion. I remember the incident on the bus with Len Whitehouse. Do you remember the cottages at the top of Adams Hill opposite the old library, Jane Bunford lived there at one time. She was the tallest woman ever at 7 feet something. At the other end of Adams Hill where Wood Lane & Woodgate Lane all came together. There were Nailmakers cottages on both sides. There was a shop just inside Wood Lane. It had a really big sign painted on the wall for Barber's Teas'. The picture of a young lady in a black & white frock.
Do you remember Chowen's, the cake factory just inside Clapgate Lane. Clapgate Lane was an unadopted road for years and it was just concrete. To service Birmetals during the war probably.
The Bookies in Caynham Road, was that Bartlett's? not being a user I'm not sure on that one. Did you use the Bartley Green social Club at all? btw, Woodgate lane is only a single carriageway still, just much improved. I worked at "Appelby Edmunds Pressings for 2 weeks after I left school in 1967 to earn some pocket money for my holidays. Scotland Farm, where King Edwards is located now. It was burned down one night in the late '50's. Rumours were that it was 'The Teddy Boys'.
Before the main shops were built, there were two shops in Wolverly Road. McCleens newsagent and another shop. McCleens moved to Wood Lane There were two brothers that lived over the old chemist in Dettonford Road. Always in fights with people. Can't bring their name to mind. Also, between Field Lane & Dettonford Road were two big houses with a walk through in between
The War Memorial that stood in the grounds of St. Michaels Church before being knowcked down was relocaed many years ago to the top of Romsley Road. It has a good turn out every year for rememberance Sunday
regards
Phil
Chemist... Lee Hurst, Karl, Ian and Sonra.

Hi, I would love to be able to open this photo. It contains my mother in law, Shirley Marshall. Her parents Fred and Peggy Marshall lived on Jiggins Lane. My maternal family are the famous Broadbents who resided at Adams Hill (Alan, John, Joy, Graham, Keith - the older members (Joy is my mom) and the younger clan, Annette, Janine & Paul. One member of the family still lives at Adams Hill as well as my nan, Nancy. My grandfather Albert Broadbent, was one of the founder members of the Bartley Green Social Club, where he was Secretary for years and years ...... I think his photo still hangs in the bar there with the football club! My paternal family were the Jones' that resided initially at Woodcock Lane and then Penrith Croft. As you can see I have lots of family connections with Bartley green including now my In-laws. I would love to be able to open the above photo? any tips?
I remember Paul from the Hobsons Choice

Back