• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cutler Family Bartley Green-schools-

Re: Bartley Green-schools-cutler Family

I lived in Romsley Road from 1951. Looking at the photo of St. Michael's choir, the houses had just been built. George Keay lived across the road from us and Brian Rollason lived a few houses below us half way down Romsley Road. Brian left school and worked for Jones, the Coalman who had his coal-yard in Jiggins lane opposite where the Doctors surgery is now. I think the yard still exists but don't know what is there now. Brian worked as a bus driver for many years once the coal yard closed down. I think Malcolm Cutler lived at number 8 Carmel Grove
chris was rollason the butchers son?

Last edited:

thanks chris, yes I do remember the other shops, and the little cafe right by the old tram terminus long green shelter at the junction of cock lane and adams hill, whenever I went in there the duke box was playing one of two songs, "A white sports coat" or "sailor" and the reason for going in there was that the cafe was the only place you could get a (blue ice lollies !). I seem to remember the butchers being in the row of 3 or 4 shops which lay back facing the old st michaels school, I have a very old photo of me around 6 yrs old wearind a jacket with st michaels badge on it.
paul

The Butcher was Harry Jones, it was next to Moss's Post Office and the Greengrocer, later to become Gillian's Hairdressing Salon

blue_fisherman did you remember "mad billy" he lived in romsey road strange lad I remember him wearing a WW2 german helmet, always had some sort of weopon, you are a few years younger than me I wonder if you knew the "Whitehouses" 4 lads all different ages, from adams hill or my sisters marilyn or jane stacey.

That would be Billy Pearson. lived at 28 Romsley Road. Never saw much of him as I am quite a bit younger.
I remember Keith Whitehouse and I recall he had 3 -4 brothers. Not to be messed with if i'm correct A family called Williamson lived across the road from us. Two lads Melvin & Grenville. Always had nice cars, 4.2 Jaguars and E-Types. I read you lived in the house by the large grassed area. I don't know the names of your sisters. Did you know Helen Winfield? just up from the Farmers who were at the other end of the grassed area in Romsley / Offmoor road. Do you remember the Lowe family? Jean Perry; Roger Cook? Jacqueine Crowson, Lynette Vinter, Terry Meddings, John Cook, Ronnie Price-Hunt, The Broadbent's in Adams Hill, our own local councillor, John Lines.

blue_fisherman did you remember "mad billy" he lived in romsey road strange lad I remember him wearing a WW2 german helmet, always had some sort of weopon, you are a few years younger than me I wonder if you knew the "Whitehouses" 4 lads all different ages, from adams hill or my sisters marilyn or jane stacey.

Last edited by a moderator:

hello blue_fisherman. I have replyed in this thread as the overseeer's don't like you spending too much time off topic, I am sad about birmetals, my dad was for some time stewert at the social club and we all went too all their entertainments christmas partys and panto's, they even had "Mr Pastry" one year. when very young my dad would walk us each sunday in summer to the black horse Illey, smiths crisps and tizer, and some times take just me to around there mushrooming there was a great medievil barn where the M5 services is now, the woods you mentioned dad would take us kids in the snowy frosty winter to get holly, a christmas tree, and misteltoe, for christmas, I remember the school being built in adams hill and as catholics mom took us to mass there every sunday in the gymnasium, do you remember the little cafe next to the old green wrough iron tram shelter at the junction of adams hill and jiggins lane facing hudsons the paper shop. when dad died I did go back in 1999, they had knocked down st michaels church and build a block of flats with the old grave yard left all around it????????????? there was't much left as I remember it so I mostly went to the resevoire and sat on the seat half way over and thought I was 10 yrs old again
regards paul stacey

Hi Paul, Blue_Fisheman is a user-name I ended up with (millions of) years ago. There was a time when you were signing up to a forum or provider when no matter what you put in, they would reject it and give you something you could never remember. anyway, this is the one that was always accepted so I've stuck with it. I've been looking to see If I can add Phil Price in my profile but I think I may have lost that chance.
I was so interested to read your last post. It almost took me back to old Bartley Green. I can still visualise the 'Old Terminus' wilh the old men sat there, smoking their pipes chatting away. I think the Cafe was called 'The Terminus Cafe' I can still visualise that as well. Doorway on the right, Counter (very high one) on the left at the top. The juke box half way down on the right just by a flight of stair. I seem to recall it was a deep red or crimson insideThere is a Catholic Church i& School in Adams Hill now - St. Peters. It is next door to the Old Library. I go in the Library occaisaionally and it is like going back in time. It was awful to knock the old church down I used to hear the Vicar on a sunday ruinging the bell. I think it had a crack in it as it seemed to clank rather than ring. There is Newman College on the site of the old Kirks Farm. did you ever go to the Black Horse in Manor Way near Halesowen. It was on the side of the old Lapal Canal. That canal is being restored and there are many plans in place (see https://www.lapal.org/ ) My Dads old army friend usedto stay with us occaisionally and he' take my and my brother their in his Motor cycle and sidecar. There was always a rowing boat moored their and swans up and down
Regards

Phil Price

Last edited:

I've been looking to see If I can add Phil Price in my profile but I think I may have lost that chance. Phil Price[/QUOTE said:
If you want to change your user name send a PM to Postie with the name you want, if it is available he will change it.

Hi Phil, yes I do know both the "Black Horse" and "The Lapal Canal", I will tell how I had a friend his name was Mark Polanski and he and his familey lived in Woodgate Lane, Mark's familey came over from Canada I think his father was big at Birmetals and quite wealthy, and he and I would often go walking and sort of fishing in the canal and once his family took me to the Black Horse. Do you remember the "Bluebird Toffee factory", sometimes would bike over there, I don't know if you remember the little victorian chapel school in woodgate, and the little shop which sold everything facing it. It was the terminus cafe and it was red inside, it was the only place you could get blue ice lollies, also the duke box always played either white sports coat or sailor if I ever went inside I think it was Alma Cogan singing, funny how your mind remembers somethings. Talking about the whitehouses, our next door naighbours, many years after I left bartley green, I was in the army and at Paddington Station, just walking along with my kit bag when a voice said "is that you paul" I looked round and another soldier stood smiling it was Graham Whitehouse, small world.
regards paul

Hi Paul, I know Mark Polanski although I don't think he would know me. This is really strange. I travel Woodgate Lane twice a day to & from work every day and for no reason I often wonder which was his house. The road has been upgraded over the years and the elevations have changed so it's position is a bit vague. They have also built a massive Council housing estate behind where Mark lived and there is a road opening into Woodgate lane around where I thought he lived. I was with a bunch of scouts that called at his house. The only names I can remember are my brother Pete and Phil Carmen. He was a big lad and the thing that struck me most was the size of his bare feet. The lads commented on his feet and he said he walked miles barefoot so they were well hardened
The Blue-Bird Toffee Factory is still there at Hunnington above Illey. It is a business park now but at least it does look the same. It has a name on the front façade of "Harry Vincent". Did you know his brother was the Headmaster of Woodgate Junior School in Trimpley Road / Lutley Grove. Lutley Grove is where the Scout Hut is to this present day. I remember helping to build it. I was a cub scout so didn't do much obviously. However I remember the footings being laid and the structure being built. George Morris was the Scoutmaster
I used to go into the Chapel on Scout Parades. My pal Richard (Dick) Winfield and me were in hysterics one day as the old lady, playing the organ was peddling like mad and having to pull many of the keys back up before they could be played again.
The little shop opposite was orginally either "The Crown Inn" or "The Royal Oak" Nothing to do with the Old Crown in Carters Lane. It later became Nellie's Stores which is what I knew it to be.
Re: The Cafe, we have an original record of Sailor. That was by Petula Clark if I remember right.

Phil

Well phil it really is a small world if ever you bump into mark please give him my salicitations, from a more quieter, greener, and slower and friendlier world, I can remember me and my sister marilyn going each morning into "Nellies" and then to the old woodgate junior school we attended for only 6months and then went to the catholic school, our lady of st rose of lima in weoley castle, quite a bus ride from adams hill we used those BCT plastic tokiens, you are right about pet clark, of course I only remember woodgate lane as a country lane I believe it is duel carrageway now. I also heard a story somewhere that the whitehouse's dad len, was a bus driver and he had a heart attack comming down adams hill, but managed to save the bus and passengers before passing out. All this reminising is really very nice for me thank you for responding.
regards paul stacey

Yes and also johny presscot and the cutlers went into partnership with in and around the area
as book makers bussiness j prescott joined forces with the cutlers and openend a couple of betting shops way back in the fifties
best wishes Astonian

I remember the bookies in the shopping centre in bartley green astonian, I think there was one in harborne too.
paul

Hi Paul, I only met Mark on that one occasion. I remember the incident on the bus with Len Whitehouse. Do you remember the cottages at the top of Adams Hill opposite the old library, Jane Bunford lived there at one time. She was the tallest woman ever at 7 feet something. At the other end of Adams Hill where Wood Lane & Woodgate Lane all came together. There were Nailmakers cottages on both sides. There was a shop just inside Wood Lane. It had a really big sign painted on the wall for Barber's Teas'. The picture of a young lady in a black & white frock.
Do you remember Chowen's, the cake factory just inside Clapgate Lane. Clapgate Lane was an unadopted road for years and it was just concrete. To service Birmetals during the war probably.
The Bookies in Caynham Road, was that Bartlett's? not being a user I'm not sure on that one. Did you use the Bartley Green social Club at all? btw, Woodgate lane is only a single carriageway still, just much improved. I worked at "Appelby Edmunds Pressings for 2 weeks after I left school in 1967 to earn some pocket money for my holidays. Scotland Farm, where King Edwards is located now. It was burned down one night in the late '50's. Rumours were that it was 'The Teddy Boys'.
Before the main shops were built, there were two shops in Wolverly Road. McCleens newsagent and another shop. McCleens moved to Wood Lane There were two brothers that lived over the old chemist in Dettonford Road. Always in fights with people. Can't bring their name to mind. Also, between Field Lane & Dettonford Road were two big houses with a walk through in between
The War Memorial that stood in the grounds of St. Michaels Church before being knowcked down was relocaed many years ago to the top of Romsley Road. It has a good turn out every year for rememberance Sunday
regards
Phil

Hi phil, yes I do remember the cottages at the top of adams hill and the old lady who lived there and sold ginger beer and toffee apples, I think Dave cutler lived in one of them too, did't know the tall lady though. I must say I really did't know the woodgate end all that well, I don't recall the cake factory but I seem to remember the name "chowens". Did you ever hear of a farm called "bullock's farm". down towards the res'a, I had a mate who lived in scotland road called barry whipps, his sister died with pneumonia, when I was about 8 yrs old and was buried at st michaels the first funeral I ever saw that and the fact I was for a short time in the choir was the reason I was so upset to see it demolished, I do remember the tower shop in field lane, and the old haunted house next door. I remember the library being built in adams hill, I also remember the forge and the blacksmith in the village too, Bullocks farm held the village fete every year which I have patchy memories of, and of father christmas party's at the old st michaels school annex, next to the vicarage, I am glad the memorial iswell attended our next door neighbour in hasbury road call mr Green I think had a false hand and a badley scared face, dad said from the war.
regards paul

HI PAUL
I hope you are well; yes they had a bookie shop on the lozells road way back in the early sixties
just more or less oppersite the old oak tree pub as well just next to the school i used to use it cuttlers and prescotts
about two years later johny prescot openend a steel stockist bussiness just down the road on victoria rd the oppersite side of lozells rd
it was just afew yards from our moms house on the other side to her house the lorries was coming and going all day and every day
being a nechells lad he was like the kirby family involved with the steel bussiness whom was from summer lane also with another big family from aston
and had a big bussines and scrap and steel stock holders from aston and there bussiness was also just down the rd in newtown row
there bussiness is in speedwell rd hay mills now they used to be in rocky lane after they left rocky lane aston
they moved to speed well rd there company was the broad hurst metals and now they are eurpean metals and a big family of generations
it was the family name of the big family was the broad hurst when they was in new town row i think it was elkington street new town row
way back in the forties and through to the sixties and seventies before they moved when they went to rocky lane , then they moved to speedwell rd
and they are still there tim kirby moved his yard there as well into speedwell rd way back theni was down speedwell rd the other day
as i have a bussiness in kings rd myself but i think tim and the family have since moved from there or they have changed there bussiness
as i have said these familys of the cutlers and prescott and broad hurst was friends and these family was associated with each other
in days gone bye ; but now the old ones have gone and its there different generation of there familys of the young ones
its there fore fathers whom associated with each other ;
Astonian

hi astonian, thanks for that very gratfull for all your knowlage on brum, I have learned so much on this forum.
regards
paul

Paul and Phil, thank you both so much for your memories posted here. It was a pleasure to read.

It was my pleasure, Local history as said before I do have some photo's of me at school(st michaels), but try as I might I cannot down load them.
paul

Thanks Chris for the 'memories'. We have heard of the Bog Hole before from one of our members. It caused a big of a giggle when we mentioned this to the pupils from local schools when we took them on a History Trail of the district or did an in-house presentation. Any chance we could have copy of your old school photo and football one? We did hear from descendents of the Pagett family but unfortunately have now lost touch. Our records only go up to 1945 so I don't have details of the KIRKs in Genners Lane. This is all fascinating stuff and helps to build up the social history of the district. Regards Maureen

Kirk's Farm is where Newman College is now. I'm almost certain that the farmyard entrance is exactly where the entrance in now for the current car park (30 feet or so from the last house in Genners Lane). There was an apple orchard just beyond the farmhouse which extended into Cromwell Lane. I was once chased out of there for scrumping the apples.

Back