• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cutler Family Bartley Green-schools-

california

Could anyone tell me the names of any primary and secondary schools that would have been in Bartley Green (around Jiggins Lane) in the period 1930-1945?

Also if anyone has any information about Arthur Cutler (wife Louisa, daughter Barbara) who lived in Bartley Green? Before he died in 1952, he worked at the Motorcycle works. His father was Samuel Cutler and there were at least 10 children - but I think they had all died by the 50's.

Thanks - I'm really enjoying this site - glad to have found it.

When we moved to Bartley Green in 1951 I was taken by coach to Tinkers Farm school Northfield. At that time there was no secondary school there.

There were I believe 2 junior schools in the area, St Michaels at the top of Jiggins lane and Woodgate British School at the junction of woodgate Lane, Wood Lane and Adams Hill. Both have now moved to their present locations (in the 1950s I think).

I have been researching the fallen commemorated on Bartley Green War Memorial so have the 1901 Census return for Arthur Cutler's family. Samual Cutler (53), listed as a bricklayer lived with his wife Mary (43) in "Old Buildings" which i beleive were the old nailers cottages at the top of Adams Hill opposite the library. They lived there with their then 6 children; Samuel (20), Eliza (17), Emma (8), Frank (6), Alfred (5) and Arthur (3). Alfred was killed on 24th Sept 1915 at Suvla Bay serving with 4th Battalion Worcestershire Regiment in the Gallipoli campaign. He is remembered on the Hill 10 memorial in Gallipoli and also on his parents grave stone in Bartley Green cemetery.

I hope this helps.

Hi Mr Fin,
thanks for your reply. I have been researching the Cutler, Pittman and Walker families in Northfield for awhile, but your post has given me a clearer idea of exactly where the house was ( or at least one of them). There seem to have been several Joseph Cutlers and William Cutlers - not necessarily related...
Thanks again,

Re: Bartley Green-schools-cutler Family

The Cutlers reffered to by Mr Finn are my great grandparents Emma was my grandmother and became Emma Whitehouse Bird when she married my grandfather James. I have a photograph of my Uncle Alfred (Fred) in uniform with his mother (Mary Jane Cutler) taken the day before he left for war. We also have Uncle Alfreds war medal. My nan (Emma) gave me a book on my 13th birthday that was presented to her in 1910 for her deligent work as a Sunday school teacher at Bartley Green Church . That book will be 100 years old next year and is signed by the then curate in church of Bartley Green Church.

Anyone who would like further information please get in touch I would love to hear from you. Its been said that my great grandmother was a midwife can anyone help me ascertain this.

Hi Carol,

I have attached a couple of photos which may be of interest to you. One is of the Hill 10 Cemetery where Alfred Cutler is buried and the other is a photo of his gravestone.

There is currently a temporary exhibition in the visitor centre at Woodgate Valley Country Park which commemorates all of the men from Bartley Green who died in the Great War. Unfortunately at the time we put the display together we did not have the photo of Alfred's grave so used the family grave in Bartley Green cemetery where Alfred is commemorated.

Would it be possible for you to post a copy of the photo you have of Alfred in uniform?

Regards

Mr Fin.

View attachment 35859

View attachment 35860

My dad and his brother went to Bartley Green School in the 1930's. It was in Adams Hill, I believe.
Here are two photographs from that era.

hi california
I remember the victorian st michaels school in the old bartley green village, the church on one side st micks, now demolished I think. mr gurney was the vicar in the 50's and the old forge on the other side. the new school opened in 1956 I think in field lane near the romsey road island, we lived in hasbury road, I remember dave cutler, and the church yard was full of cutler gravestones,
paul stacey

Mr Fin,

thank you for enclosing the pictures of my great uncle Alfreds grave. I can indeed let you have a copy of the photo of Alfred in uniform. Myself and my brother intend to visit Woodgate Valley Country Park tomorrow and I will leave a copy for you.

Carol Millie

Hi Carol,

I have attached a couple of photos which may be of interest to you. One is of the Hill 10 Cemetery where Alfred Cutler is buried and the other is a photo of his gravestone.

There is currently a temporary exhibition in the visitor centre at Woodgate Valley Country Park which commemorates all of the men from Bartley Green who died in the Great War. Unfortunately at the time we put the display together we did not have the photo of Alfred's grave so used the family grave in Bartley Green cemetery where Alfred is commemorated.

Would it be possible for you to post a copy of the photo you have of Alfred in uniform?

Regards

Mr Fin.

View attachment 35859

View attachment 35860

Good Morning Mr Fin,

Thank you for the pictures I this sites proved to be really useful in my quest to find my family tree. I attach the photograph you requested for the display. Its my Great Nanna Mary Jane Cutler and her son Alfred Cutler taken two days before he went of to war, never returning home.

Once again many thanks

Carol,
The Cutlers,seem familiar to me,and they lived at No.12 Adams Hill,that was one of the old cottages that used to be at the top end.
If I have it right they lived next door to the Potter's.

hi ray
I remember the old cottages at the top of adams hill I lived at 112a the house at the corner of romsey road with the large window, I nearly died there, was birds nesting (aged 9) after every one had moved out and they had fallen into disrepair and got out on the roof and the slates moved my mate mick whitehouse (110 adams) saved me., did you know dave cutler he lived in those cottages, were you in the scouts in woodgate lane I seem to remember your name, but had a slight stroke in march and the memory is a little rusty
regards
paul stacey

Anybodt reading this who is interetsed in the history and families of the Bartley Green area might like to know that the next meeting of the Bartley Green and District History Group (formerly Woodgate and the Valley History Group) is on Tuesday 13th October 2009 @7pm at King Edwards School in Scotland Lane.

They have a wealth of old photos, census returns, church records etc. which are available for perusal.

If you are thinking of going just contact Lynn Weaver (secretary) - details available on the group's website.

Thanks for this Carol - he looks so young! A distant cousin of mine was killed at Gallipoli fighting with the Royal Naval Division in the same Battalion as the war poet Rupert Brooke.

Hello Ray,

Samuel and Mary Jane Cutler lived at #12 Adams Hill in 1915 and possibly before. Their address in the 1911 census is listed as 12 Bartley Green, Quinton.

Also, would Richard Etheridge (born c 1800 - father Richard b 1765 in Shrawley, WCS) who married Lucy Bruffan in 1831 in Dudley, daughter Rosanna (or Rosena) born 1936 in Wombourne be one of yours?

Regards

Re: Bartley Green-Families

I'm really enjoying these threads as they help to build up a social history of the district. I believe some of you have made contact through our web site (now shortened to www.bgdhg.co.uk) and the additional info. displayed here helps us to pinpoint a particular area or family in question.

Paul, you say you lived on the corner of Romsley Road - was the house opposite the dairy or near where the 'Deeley's' cottage stands? Would appreciate a description of the locality at the time you lived there.

Keep these threads coming - they are wonderful:)

Hi Carol,

The photo you uploaded of Alfred and his mother is superb!! The History Group is currently building up a file of those buried in the churchyard in Bartley Green and would like to add this. Have you any objection?

If you could scan a copy of the front of the book and the 'presentation' page that was given to your grandmother this would also make a welcome addition to our album on the village of Bartley Green.

We were told some time ago that someone's grandmother was the local midwife. I will take a look through our records and get back to you.
Regards
Maureen

Local History,
Sheila Deely,lived in the cottage in Adams Hill,across the road from Kendricks,(who delivered milk)who lived on the corner of Romsley Rd.

Back