• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Curzon Street?

peggygirl

proper brummie kid
I'm looking for any info or photo's of Alice O'Neill's shop that was in Curzon Street I think it was a confectioner's, she ran it with her daughter Frances. I'm not sure if it was Curzon St. was just told it might have been but it was definitely Birmingham.
f8c38a1a-a8c7-4cb6-b8d8-9317cf712710.jpg

Peggy
It looks like a general local shop, of which there were many at that time. she would have sold confectionery, but also milk and groceries and tobacco. The shop was actually in Vauxhall Road at no 99 (shown in red on the c 1950map), which is a continuation of Curzon st . She is listed as being there in the 1932 Kellys directory (which would refer to 1931, and appears on the electoral roll between 1930 and 1935, so seems to have started there in 1931. She appears there on the Electoral roll up till sometime between 1957 and 1960, so presumably left between those years.

map c 1951 showing 99 Vauxhall road.jpg

Last edited:
Peggy
It looks like a general local shop, of which there were many at that time. she would have sold confectionery, but also milk and groceries and tobacco. The shop was actually in Vauxhall Road at no 99 (shown in red on the c 1950map), which is a continuation of Curzon st . She is listed as being there in the 1932 Kellys directory (which would refer to 1931, and appears on the electoral roll between 1930 and 1935, so seems to have started there in 1931. She appears there on the Electoral roll up till sometime between 1957 and 1960, so presumably left between those years.

View attachment 113013
Thank you so much for your help, it's helped me a great deal

Last edited by a moderator:
Back