• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Curzon Street Statue

norfolk brummie

gone but not forgotten
I have just read that a statue, with much controversy, has been shortlisted, for erection outside Curzon Street railway station.

The statue depicts a crashed train.

A crashed train, outside a railway station???

It that does not sound weird enough, I also understand that the statue of the crashed locomotive is a replica of the remains of 46242 City of Glasgow. This is the locomotive that was involved in the 1952 Harrow & Weald train disaster, when 112 people lost their lives.

I find the whole idea quite appalling & tasteless, an insult to Curzon Street Station, the people of Birmingham, Sir William Stanier, and even more so, the families of all those that died that horrendous day

It appears that no one in authority, or anyone else, has noticed the shocking similarities until now.

It is also said the sculptor "declares his passion for 'insulting' people"

More details of this posting are available in the 2016 August/September issue of STEAM RAILWAY, who comments I have quoted as above, and for which I am extremely grateful.

This ridiculous, and expensive idea must be dropped before it is too late.

Eddie

Last edited:
This is a photograph of the crashed City of Glasgow locomotive, and the mouldings that have been suggest for the new statue. I have had to crop the actual locomotive photograph as the original is too long to post (my limited computer knowledge applies).

Anyone who knows the structure of a locomotive will notice that it is an exact copy

Attachments

• City of Glasgow 001 (2).jpg
    City of Glasgow 001 (2).jpg
    542.8 KB · Views: 22
  • Mouldings City of Glasow 001.jpg
    Mouldings City of Glasow 001.jpg
    994.4 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Why do they need such an awful thing there anyway? It will become a playground for children to climb over as they did with "Forward". (Another horrible statue in my opinion!)
rosie.

And being metal no one can set fire to it like they did with the other monstrosity a few years ago

Absolutely gross and the guy must be sick in the head along with those that have supported him. I'm normally a very calm individual, but as a person who says he likes insulting people, I'd like to punch him on the nose, several times.

Maurice

Here's the model that I saw at the Library of Birmingham yesterday.

These are the other entries:

I thought Birmingham Libraries were short of funds and unable to afford to open branches and access to records? This waste of money is an insult to local citizens on its own.

Maurice

But this is nothing to do with the libraries. It will, I presume, be funded by the enormous amount the government are giving to subsidise HS2, so that politicians and other overpaid people can travel up to (and away from) Birmingham in great comfort at the public's expense

They always use this space on the ground floor of the library for exhibitions (not counting the exhibitions in The Gallery on Level 3).

Things such as Cadbury World models.

They may have previously been on display at Millennium Point.

Here's the model that I saw at the Library of Birmingham yesterday.

I cannot say that any of them blow my socks off, but all are preferred to that grotesque idea from a sick mind. Why not go the whole way, and sculpture the Lockerbie Boeing fuselage outside Heathrow Airport. That is how sick his idea is.

Terrible tragedies have their reminders, plaques & memorials in the appropriate setting. THIS IS NOT ONE SUCH PLACE.

These are the other entries:

Ell - when people reply they have to be very careful where they type. If it is inside the brackets it appears as if it is a quote. I think that is what has happened above.
Janice

Absolutely... I would never alter a posting from another person. My apologies if I did the wrong thing in the reply.
Eddie

Back