• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Curzon Street Railway Station

I am interested in the buildings around (past and present) the railway station. I have seen the Woodman Pub mentioned, I am just off to have a search on BHF for the pub.

my son has just shown me some amazing photos of the old turntable at curzon st that has been uncovered...cant find anything online about it and i think the photos must have been on facebook...not a member of it

lyn

Here is a plan of the station on opening, and the position of the turntable approximately fits with the position in the photograph.

Plan of curzon st station on opening.jpg

However, it can be seen from the c1889 OS mapo that the turntable had gone by that time.

map c 1889 showing curzon st station area.jpg

i wonder if they will restore it? and move it to tyseley?

works

well pete if we had a council that cared about preserving the cities heritage then i would like to think so BUT knowing what we know and have seen over the years it will most likely be at best infilled ...at worst ripped up and chucked in the skip...if it did go to tysley then i for one would be absolutely delighted

lyn

well pete if we had a council that cared about preserving the cities heritage then i would like to think so BUT knowing what we know and have seen over the years it will most likely be at best infilled ...at worst ripped up and chucked in the skip...if it did go to tysley then i for one would be absolutely delighted

lyn
well said lyn.
never know someone might have it, fingers crossed.hey.

Lyn, that is a wagon turntable from the goods station. The one that has been discovered is for railway locos and would have been much larger in the centre of a circular building, actually in this case a 16 sided building
what ever its use i hope they dont skip it:worried:: unamused:

Lyn, those wagon turntables were rarely seen at a passenger stations so maybe that's why they are unfamiliar to you. Larger yards like the good yards - note plural - at Curzon Street (also Bordesley, Camp Hill and Hockley) had a few as various types of wagon were dealt with in different parts of the depot - e.g. fruits, fish, aggregates, coal and so on.

Also those old wagon turntables would never have had locos going over them. The wagons would have been much small than present railway wagons and would have been shunted either by a gang of men or by a horse.

Back