• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Curzon Street Railway Station

I assume you mean all compulsory purchase orders have been issued.
They are not Compulsory Purchase Orders, the property has been transferred to HS2 Ltd and the owners told to get off and argue compensation later. Birmingham City University has put in a planning application for a multi story block of students accomodation which will never be built on land it no longer owns just to prove the value of the land that was taken from them.

They are not Compulsory Purchase Orders, the property has been transferred to HS2 Ltd and the owners told to get off and argue compensation later. Birmingham City University has put in a planning application for a multi story block of students accomodation which will never be built on land it no longer owns just to prove the value of the land that was taken from them.

If they are not Compulsory Purchase Orders how has property been forcibly transferred to HS2 Ltd from owners who do not want their property transferred from them, what law was used?

Last edited:
If they are not Compulsory Purchase Orders how has property been forcibly transferred to HS2 Ltd from owners who do not want their property transferred from them, what law was used?
High Speed Rail (London - West Midlands) Act 2017 (2017 Chapter 7) states that the act itself is to be treated as a compulsory purchase order so that separate compulsory purchase orders are not required and the Compulsory Purchase Acts are modified accordingly in respect of HS2.

High Speed Rail (London - West Midlands) Act 2017 (2017 Chapter 7) states that the act itself is to be treated as a compulsory purchase order so that separate compulsory purchase orders are not required and the Compulsory Purchase Acts are modified accordingly in respect of HS2.

Right, so a Compulsory Purchase Order then but with the name changed.

It is quite normal for government and political thinking to change names of things or places that have an ill feelings about them.

When my brother died I found a commerative medal for the150 Anniversary of the opening of the London to Bham railway.As anyone else got one.Its about 2/12-3 inches across and in gold.

Just looking through this thread as I want to learn more about the Curzon Street Station. Just watched the government approval for HS2 on the lunchtime news, I can see the old Curzon Street Station is still standing and what a pleasing sight that was.

The original building was larger? If so, why is it not still standing?

Just looking through this thread as I want to learn more about the Curzon Street Station. Just watched the government approval for HS2 on the lunchtime news, I can see the old Curzon Street Station is still standing and what a pleasing sight that was.

The original building was larger? If so, why is it not still standing?
I think the previous building that was demolished was a parcel depot.

Thanks Viv (and all who have posted) for recommending this thread. I have had a quick look through and I have learned lots in a short space of time. This information is important to me in order to learn about where I come from and the history of Birmingham.

I can look at my family tree and see from the dates (for instance ages of family tree members at the time they married) what Birmingham would have been like in their lifetime. I will have to look for a map now.

Birmingham Hidden Spaces website is having a spring clean. How interesting to go into some of these places. I will have to see what is coming up.

An account of the station from 1979. It mentions the buildings that were demolished including the Queens Hotel. Viv.

7171CF06-9B7F-4763-86B0-E597D1BC2DF2.jpeg

Attachments

• EB038304-EE88-48F1-9698-952D01FA217E.jpeg
    EB038304-EE88-48F1-9698-952D01FA217E.jpeg
    641.2 KB · Views: 5
  • B92D311A-942D-45A6-9F8D-FEAA137F198C.jpeg
    B92D311A-942D-45A6-9F8D-FEAA137F198C.jpeg
    839.7 KB · Views: 4
  • E37E47C4-0BBC-4E55-B2B8-FA5FDB3742C9.jpeg
    E37E47C4-0BBC-4E55-B2B8-FA5FDB3742C9.jpeg
    273 KB · Views: 4
  • 82C9836F-8BCE-4D28-ADA1-6D3902A21DB3.jpeg
    82C9836F-8BCE-4D28-ADA1-6D3902A21DB3.jpeg
    883.2 KB · Views: 4
Interesting trackwork on the right-hand side! The 'six-foot', the space between adjacent lines, is considerably smaller than the 'four-foot', the space between a set of running rails. Either the artist has made a mistake or the two tracks serve different purposes. Perhaps the left-hand track is for 'end loading' coaches, as per the one at the end of the train on the far-left? With the release of the new Hornby 'Rocket' due this month this picture might form the basis of a neat period layout!

Think it was when they started to change over the gauges.
No, can't be because the track leaving the station is standard gauge. There would be no point in having a tiny bit of broad gauge in the station. Besides broad gauge was a Brunel idea used on the GWR, never on the L&BR.

It does look as if it is a mixed gauge layout, but as far as I can see, no Great Western trains ever went into Curzon St. The early GW terminus seems to have been at Bordesley

The plan was for GWR to run into Curzon Street but that never happened and in any event that would have been long after 1838. Remember this was a drawing and perspective is not easy.

For more about the GWR plans to run to Curzon Street see this thread

A little ironic that the HS2 station will be close to the GWR lines at Moor Street Station and the two stations will be connected by a footbridge.

Interesting trackwork on the right-hand side! The 'six-foot', the space between adjacent lines, is considerably smaller than the 'four-foot', the space between a set of running rails. Either the artist has made a mistake or the two tracks serve different purposes. Perhaps the left-hand track is for 'end loading' coaches, as per the one at the end of the train on the far-left? With the release of the new Hornby 'Rocket' due this month this picture might form the basis of a neat period layout!

Yes perspective is not good as that is the engine release line to allow the loco that brought the train into the station to run round its train.

The excellent warwickshirerailways.com website perhaps provides the answer (and some good contemporary descriptions of the station).

Here is the 1838 layout, consisting of six roads linked by 12' turntables. The roads must be sensibly placed if only to fit the turntables in. From a modeller's point of view the whole lot could be accomodated in the length of four modern coaches!

It would appear that right from the start central Birmingham has suffered from lack of railway capacity.

I think an important point which is often overlooked is that the building that we know as Curzon Street Station was not in fact the station but was the hotel named The Queen Victoria. The station offices including ticket offices were inside the gate to the left of the hotel alongside the departure platform.

Back