• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Curzon Street Railway Station

Found an answer to the american flag. Paul Braddon, also known as James Leslie Crees, for several years, painted exclusively for a London firm which sold many of his pictures in America. I wonder if this is one of his works that was destined for the US. I expect that might explain why his paintings seem to be nostalgic and of 'days gone by' or on the cusp of change. Viv.

Found an answer to the american flag. Paul Braddon, also known as James Leslie Crees, for several years, painted exclusively for a London firm which sold many of his pictures in America. I wonder if this is one of his works that was destined for the US. I expect that might explain why his paintings seem to be nostalgic and of 'days gone by' or on the cusp of change. Viv.

I've already gone down this route and think this too. If you notice according to your source of the watercolour his year of birth was 1865-the year of the end of the American Civil War and the consolidation of the number of stars and stripes on the American flag. That's for a while until Alaska and Honolulo and everywhere grass skirts joined up.

If you look on the Bonhams Auctioneers website who deal in many of the Braddon originals however, flagpoles are a feature but none I can see with any flags
https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/15974/lot/795/

Thanks for the link Jennyann. It all looks a little sad to me when you consider what it once looked like. But at least the main building is still in tact. Don't know how the development is progressing, but the link seems to suggest that some of the surrounding buildings will be lost in development. Never can understand why architects can't make the best use of old buildings and incorporate them into any new scheme. Aren't they supposed to be creative? And wouldn't it make it all the more interesting? Viv.

Don't know how the development is progressing, but the link seems to suggest that some of the surrounding buildings will be lost in development. Never can understand why architects can't make the best use of old buildings and incorporate them into any new scheme. Aren't they supposed to be creative? And wouldn't it make it all the more interesting? Viv.

These pictures were taken in 2004 (and I assume the text written at the same time) but a lot has happened in that area since then.

The area has been given the generic name "Eastside" by the council and many of the factories and other buildings in the area have been demolished.

But Curzon St station is still there, as are a number of pubs (none open though).

There is the Woodman pub opposite the station, and the Eagle and Tun pub nearby, the Moby Dicks pub a few hundred yards away, and the Fox and Grapes pub near Moor St station.

A number of new buildings have been built in the area, including the Ormiston Academy of Performing Art, and Birmingham City University (BCU) are currently building their phase 1 building nearby. A BCU phase 2 building is also planned for the area.

Probably the biggest change in the area is the building of Eastside City Park, which runs from roughly near Moor St station, past the Woodman pub, and almost to the ring road.

In fact if anyone has not been in the area for a while they may be in for a surprise.

And the biggest change in the area will be the building of the HUGE High Speed 2 (HS2) train station right next to the Curzon St station. This will be a massive structure and will dominate the area.

I have been photographing the changes in the area since about 2009, to capture the redevelopment of Eastside.

You can see my panorama photos of the development of the area here (on a website called Skyscraper City)

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1024483

And here are some photos of the Eastside City Park taken a few days ago, also on Skyscraper City (these are not my pictures)

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=100355151&postcount=1872

What great photos and insight, I worked for little while some weeks in 62, as a loader at Curzon Street, and remember the yard well.
paul

Re: curzon street station

A few images of Curzon St Station & Goods yard as a working yard. The only memory I have of the station when it was working is occasionally having to stop whilst a train crossed the road when I used to trek along Curzon St, Duddeston Row, and Park St to the Bull Ring as a kid.

Attachments

• Vauxhall Curzon St Stn.jpg
    Vauxhall Curzon St Stn.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 65
  • Vauxhall Curzon St.jpg
    Vauxhall Curzon St.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 67
  • Bordesley Curzon St Station 1857.JPG
    Bordesley Curzon St Station 1857.JPG
    173.4 KB · Views: 67
  • Bordesley CurzonSt Sidings[1].jpg
    Bordesley CurzonSt Sidings[1].jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 68
Some photos I took this morning of Eastside City Park. The bit with the field that was recently completed.

The line into New Street is on the far right

You can see Curzon Street Station, The Woodman, The Eagle & Tun as well as Millennium Point from here.

Seems almost impossible to have a view like that of such an old station in a big city! But if HS2 goes ahead that will change. But at least we can enjoy the view for the moment. And if HS2 doesn't go ahead it ill give us at least another 4 years of the view. Viv.

Curzon Street from the south east circa 1865 from Thomas Sulman's engraving of the period

Curzon_Street_Station_1865.jpg

Left to right

Birmingham Gun Proof House
Banbury Street bridge
Curzon Street Station
Bridge over the Birmingham and Fazeley canal

Duddeston Viaduct in the foreground

and with the last of the photos on post #5 in mind, just a little closer detail dated 1969

00571010.jpg

https://www.mirrorpix.com/webgate/preview.php?UURL=01b4e548b076a882885da1a7d8cd5ca7&IMGID=00571010
Here's the link address if the photo gets separated

Much to the annoyance of many Birmingham will be at the heart of the greatest rail system HS2 since the big 4 from the steam days.
Building Railways has always caused problems .

Mike Jenks

Yep

Thats the St Pancras v Euston problem and 15 milllion in the South East.
St Pancras is the Leicester line.
Presumbly the H2/HS1vlink will be built one day.
Goverments come and go on these issues.

mike Jenks

Surely there must be a (none passenger) link between HS1 and HS2 for stock transfers etc. I cannot believe HS2 will be 'totally' isolated or do I detect common sense does not exist in these matters?

Mike.

Hi

Afraid so there was a Scheme developed on Paper but rejected by the Government. Too many Londoners in the way.

mike

Back