• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Curzon Street Railway Station

It must be a lovely building inside as well as out , it would be another criminal act if it were destroyed.
If it can't be incorporated into a station stop,then a museum sounds a great idea, big improvement on the monstrosity opposite it!!
Dads family worked on the railways and from what I can gather was at the goods yard at Curzon .
Sue

Gorgeous old building that I passed today in the car. We really knew how to build great looking buildings in those days. Different to the modern day boxes that will not be around in 20 years let alone over 170 years as this was. I understand this is a Grade 1 listed building. So just knocking it down is not an option but "listing" status doesnt always save things tho.

Understand this is also part of the high speed 2 project and development of eastside. So Im gratefull for that at least.
I hope it survives intact because once it's gone thats it. I don't know what is planned around it but I hope it is given enough space and becomes a centre piece, surrounded by at least "some" greenery. Dont miss the opportunity please planners.

hi

the years this area lay in complete dilapidation and it is the proposed to be
the centre of the HS2 Terminal. What our Ancestors saw back in the 1830's
could be re-born. The Architects drawings are stunning.

mike jenks

I would imagine that planners back in the good old days of Curzon St Station (ie mid 1800's) would have met similar negtive feelings for the changes to higher speed trains and in those days it took 8 hours to get to London from here. But I still cant see the requirement to pay a lot extra (these days) just to be in London 15 minutes earlier. But maybe I'm getting older and missing something. If I am please correct me.

Hi

Yep they were as today NIMBYS all over the place in most cases acts of Parliament had to be used to
force the Railways through. Canals had the same problems.
Overload on the WCML and the terrible layout of the Birmingham section from Rugby where the WCML
splits. Its difficult to run a Railway with Goods Local and Express virtually on one Track. But thats
another Story. Its the shear volume of Passenger Growth unfortunately going to London

Mike Jenks

Perhaps if we had continued to use ALL of the railway resources at our disposal, instead of the old rivalries between the companies and then regions IE GWR(Western Region/LMS(London Midland) causing massive closures of the GWR route, we would still have four tracks to and from Birmingham to and from the South into and out of Snow Hill as far as Lapworth, thus giving lots of capacity for expresses and local services on the route which was always the fastest to London, thanks to finer engineering of the line. We would also have had another route North as well, because that is the next one they will decide to throw money at, but then maybe not because it won't assist London!!
Chiltern Railways are slowly but steadily improving the route South and I can foresee a time when their route will be faster than the West Coast route and competing for the business from the white elephant which will be HS2 (if it gets built), just like HS1 which is conveniently not discussed. Or maybe when Chiltern have invested all of their resources the franchise will pass to the First group for them to make massive profits out of. Rant over........for a while!!

hi

Yep the 4 Track GWR was the Answer but the terrible price we are now paying for the closure
of Systems that in today,s terms would literally be mega Trillions to build from scratch must go
down has a mega blunder. Even the Canals survived and are growing each year for leisure.
In effect Chiltern are using sections of the Old Gwr and routing into Marylabone.
Your point on Chiltern is interesting clearly building up from Scratch does not bother the present
political situation with Virgin who started with a few Old 86 and 87 class back in 1997.
Anyway its all a waste of time now I think Ill go ack to Tamworth Fields for a few hours.

Mike Jenks

Mike, you will be lucky to get close to Tamworth Fields at the minute, there are works going on everywhere!! But you can still watch from the platforms for free and if you are lucky the new retail facilities may be open lol
Sue

There are still a lot of train spotters there Mike at different times. Used to take Owen there when he was younger to watch the trains and he still likes to go early now if we meet his sisters from either London or Liverpool. He is still looking at train driving as a career and loves travelling on trains, he's quite adventurous too, went to London by himself earlier in the year to see his big sister, think I was more worried than him!
Going back to the thread, the old station is Katys favourite building in Birmingham , she still looks for it if she travels through New Street, so is chuffed that it may be re-used.
Sue

This drawing is of Curzon Street Station (Birmingham Railway Station) 1845. It's probably from a bill head. But what and where was The Railway Pen? Anyone know? Viv.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360336518.675570.jpg

Hi

There,s interesting normally this is easy for our string of Historians.
very early in Railway History there may be a series of them representing early
city Stations. Well done a good challenge.
Mom96 a lot better from the bad time last few weeks. Still cant eat or drink but the
Nose feeding is working well. Its great talking to her again.

mike jenks

Mike, so pleased to hear your mom is picking up, hope her recovery continues - slow but sure we used to say - and like you say to talk to her makes a world of difference.
I looked at the plans for Curzon Street and it will be impressive if it goes ahead.
Sue

This drawing is of Curzon Street Station (Birmingham Railway Station) 1845. But what and where was The Railway Pen? Anyone know? Viv.

More likely what than where. I think it would be a writing pen, using the railway as a means of indicating it was a new design or invention, the picture possibly coming from a box containg such a pen, or a number of them.

Hi

Yep Birmingham was the centre of Pen nibs and the Railways exported them. I saw a google reference to Pens
nibs and Curzon St although not to the Drawing.
Well done best yet on this puzzle

Mike Jenks

Now that makes perfect sense Mike and Lloyd! Never even occurred to me, but I should have made the connection. Maybe they were made for official railway use or to meet a surge in popularity of all things railway connected. My original line of thought drifted off towards cattle pens but not writing pens. In trying to find out more about the Railway Pen I came across this wonderful watercolour by Paul Braddon (1865 - 1938) of "Birmingham Railway Station on Curzon Street". Afraid no date, but a splendid view. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360409659.925622.jpg

I wonder whether this last picture is an artists impression of how it might look when finished, or did the station frontage look like that on completion?

Its still a great picture all the same..

Strictly speaking the view is not of the station proper, but of the station hotel, named The Queen Victoria (or shortened to The Queen). It is also not a view painted before completion of the original station hotel, as the left hand wing of the hotel was added after completion, and originally there was a gate each side of the hotel, one for incoming passengers, and the other side for passengers who had disenbarked. The left entrance was soon replaced by the extension.

I also wondered why there seems to be an american flag hanging on the right. It does suggest the painting might have been made for reasons other than being a piece of art. Viv.

Back