• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Curzon Street Railway Station

I think at one time there was some thought that Birmingham University might take it on but they have got the old Municipal Bank HO now. I do not know what it will be used for but it is being included in the footprint of the HS2 station.

When it was open to view (well the ground floor) some years ago, they said it was going to be a coffee shop/cafe on the ground floor

must be about 10 years now carl chinn asked if he could use it for his archives but was turned down...pity really as i think such an old building and tons of old archive material would have gone well together

lyn

From what I have seen of the interior (i.e. photos!) much of the space is an open full-height hallway, so unsuitable as the grading would prevent vast interior alteration. Even now, commercial use would require emergency exits from all floors and disbled access (lifts). For HS2 the large site was of prime importance, and worth the 'millstone round the neck' of the old building. At least it is planned for it to remain.

From what I have seen of the interior (i.e. photos!) much of the space is an open full-height hallway, so unsuitable as the grading would prevent vast interior alteration. Even now, commercial use would require emergency exits from all floors and disbled access (lifts). For HS2 the large site was of prime importance, and worth the 'millstone round the neck' of the old building. At least it is planned for it to remain.
and for that we must be grateful lloyd

lyn

What they said in 2017:

"Birmingham's historic Curzon Street station is to be brought back to life with a visitor centre and education hub under newly revealed plans.

The Grade I-listed entrance building, which is the oldest surviving railway terminal in the world, has been disused for years but will be reborn as a focal point of the new site in Eastside which will eventually house the HS2 station.

New proposals for the city council-owned site have been revealed by HS2, the Government company set up to deliver the high-speed rail line between London and Birmingham.

The aim is to carry out a full refurbishment of the 1830s building to create a visitor centre, meeting rooms, exhibition space and a café on the ground floor.

Upper floors are set to be used by Historic England, the government body which lists historic buildings and monuments, and workshops for Birmingham City University's STEAMHouse project."

This building was a hotel then later goods offices.
In the 1970's there was a mummified cat on a table in the hall way. There were also offices on the extension, now demolished

must be about 10 years now carl chinn asked if he could use it for his archives but was turned down...pity really as i think such an old building and tons of old archive material would have gone well together

lyn
Maybe they can incorporate son
What they said in 2017:

"Birmingham's historic Curzon Street station is to be brought back to life with a visitor centre and education hub under newly revealed plans.

The Grade I-listed entrance building, which is the oldest surviving railway terminal in the world, has been disused for years but will be reborn as a focal point of the new site in Eastside which will eventually house the HS2 station.

New proposals for the city council-owned site have been revealed by HS2, the Government company set up to deliver the high-speed rail line between London and Birmingham.

The aim is to carry out a full refurbishment of the 1830s building to create a visitor centre, meeting rooms, exhibition space and a café on the ground floor.

Upper floors are set to be used by Historic England, the government body which lists historic buildings and monuments, and workshops for Birmingham City University's STEAMHouse project."
It would make a great exhibition space.

Sorry Paul. I posted a drawing which claimed to be Grand central on 1st June 1854 from an article, but on looking closely I am sure it was not , and probably was New St, but decided as we could not be sure it was even Birmingham, I deleted the post. The drawing is below, but the attribution is certainly wrong , so we cannot be sure of what it is

Grand central station. Backtrack. jan.2011.jpg

The drawing of above of the station appeared in the Illustrated London News June 3rd 1854 when the station called Grand Central opened. The passenger service operated by the LNWR was transferred to this station from Curzon Street on June 1. The Midland trains followed a month later. The Curzon Street was closed to passengers.

Other train operators to use Central in June 1854 were the Shrewsbury and Birmingham Railway and the South Staffordshire Railway.

Back