• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Curzon Street Railway Station

I have even heard 'experts' say that you will be able to get the tram from New Street station to Curzon Street but I have pointed out that you will have to change in Bull Street so it might be quicker to walk. We shall see if the 'single station' idea turns out to be the myth that I think it will be.

The tram line currently is just one "line" (Wolverhampton to Broad Street return) so all trams just go back and froward up and down this one line.

However once we get the extra "leg" down to the HS2 station and then on to Digbeth I assume SOME trams will go Broad St, New Street station, Corporation Street, then turn down Bull St then down Albert Street to the HS2 station and then on to Digbeth.

So people getting ON the tram outside New St station will get the choice to get a tram to Wolverhampton OR get a tram to Digbeth via the HS2 station.

So they wont need to change at Bull Street.

The tram line currently is just one "line" (Wolverhampton to Broad Street return) so all trams just go back and froward up and down this one line.

However once we get the extra "leg" down to the HS2 station and then on to Digbeth I assume SOME trams will go Broad St, New Street station, Corporation Street, then turn down Bull St then down Albert Street to the HS2 station and then on to Digbeth.

So people getting ON the tram outside New St station will get the choice to get a tram to Wolverhampton OR get a tram to Digbeth via the HS2 station.

So they wont need to change at Bull Street.

Thank you I see then new map does show a triangular junction at Bull Street and Corporation Street although originally they mentioned only trams coming from the Wolverhampton direction serving Curzon Street. However, the Statutory Order (which is only in draft form on the Midland Metro Alliance website) does not be more specific than just saying a junction with the existing line.

Platforms need to be 400 metres long (EU Regs, don't ask!) so will reach to old Curzon Street site. This is why New Street could not be used even if it had capacity.
Apparently that is the length of European trains and we have to follow suit (for now), there seems to be a question still to be answered as to what length HS2 trains will be, but 400m trains (Eurostar) where in the original plan and they can carry 1100 passengers so I have been told
Bob

I have seen before - and believe posted that 'photo' here. It clearly shows the Woodman. I wonder why there is the suggestion of demolition? It is close to the original station building so needs not to be removed as far as I can see.
I don't believe the Woodman is coming down but it seems that the Eagle & Tun is. From the look of the image this pub falls within the new station's footprint.

The Woodman is safe. Its The Eagle & Tun that will sadly be demolished. Its boarded up last time I walked past it the other week.
Thanks. As I haven't been in the area since 1954- and was too young to frequent pubs anyway - I was confused which was the one threatened with demolition. It complements the other older structures nicely

This was summer last year. Cyclist going past The Woodman. Curzon Street Station was behind me on New Canal Street.

This view from April 2017 towards Millennium Point.

I have been looking for the plan of the HS2 station that I thought I had made a copy of but I can't find it.

However to show the size of the new station see this map. The HS2 station is shown in red and the existing three stations are shown in blue
1584645038133.png
Map taken from the Scribble Maps website.

I am waiting to see if those looking at the locomotive shed, find the underground coke storage and may be the 18 inch gauge railway that brought coke from the narrow boats.

That the early London & Birmingham locomotives burnt coke rather than coal was the result of early locomotive boiler needs. The supply of coke was then expensive, however. The LBR built their own coke ovens at Camden, 18 of them, to burn coal from Durham, brought by coastal shipping and the Regents Canal. Curzon Street had coke delivered by the boat load. Part had originated in the North West and part from North Staffordshire.

The LBR had 3 main locomotive depots, Curzon Street, Wolverton and Camden.

The trains will be doing 80mph as they enter the station. Then even after the buffers there will be a safety zone in case of overrun, then the concourse and then the front entrance opening onto a square in Moor Street. There will be several entrances with pick up and drop off and the taxi ranks. The use of the Curzon Strreet name has caused no end of confusion in people's minds.

I have even heard 'experts' say that you will be able to get the tram from New Street station to Curzon Street but I have pointed out that you will have to change in Bull Street so it might be quicker to walk. We shall see if the 'single station' idea turns out to be the myth that I think it will be.
I think 80 mph entering the station is a bit OTT

I think also that 80 mph is a high speed. Yet trains do from time to time enter a station, which they are stopping at, with speed. In the 1990's there was a concern about this, I recall.

Back