• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Curzon Street Hotel

Heartland

master brummie
The restoration of the surviving station building started on September 02nd.

After seeing many references to the structure as being the London and Birmingham Railway station building, an observation which must be made is that it served as part of the operation of the railway, where in reality it was a hotel. There is even a reference on the 1841 census that lists the occupants on census day. The train shed and booking office was beyond and was removed when the goods shed was constructed, The hotel became goods offices.

In the thread about the 1850 explosion at Curzon Street, the gas supply to the Hotel is mentioned.Old-Curzon-Street-Station-refurb-begins-2-Sept-2021-1140x761.jpg

Just to add to this thread, the name of the building can be linked to the Queens Hotel. There were various company meetings held here as well as other services such as inquests.
In 1850 Robert Bacon was the hotel keeper and his name was on the 1851 census as can be seen on the three attached pages,

WARHO107_2054_2055-0316.jpgWARHO107_2054_2055-0315.jpgWARHO107_2054_2055-0314.jpg

And in response to posting this Paul Brandon painting on that thread Mikegee also posted this explanation. It was named the Queen Victoria but was shortened to the Queen. The painting shows the left wing of the Hotel. Viv.

319ADAF0-F243-49FD-8C3A-C6D5965FD743.jpeg012A84FB-54C6-4B4B-BE53-288F2FBE0CB4.jpeg

I notice from the Braddon painting, the structure that remains seems to have lost its portico. Viv.

Ok thanks Mike. So if I’ve got this right, the front was on New Canal Street. But which road was the back ? Viv.

There wasn't a road at the back. If it looks like a road in the view in post 1, it is just a trackway for contractors vehicles. In the days of a working station it was just an open area

Yes the road way for contractors vehicles presently. In the days of the working Parcels Depot, the Rail Express Vehicles would park there.

In the days of the Queens Hotel, it is not clear whether the archeological studies have looked at how the hotel was arranged with visitors rooms, staff accommodation, kitchen areas etc. Refreshments were also provided for rail travellers.

My wife worked for British Rail and her first day at work was in the offices here. Not sure how long she worked there because she moved to the offices above Snow Hill Station before moving to an office block on Broad Street called Rail House. Her father was a manager with BR and when she said was leaving school at 15 he insisted she work for BR. I am surprised that it managed to not get demolished and it will be great to see it restored again.
Ken.

If I recall RAIL HOUSE became Quayside Tower later. As to Snow Hill, I also gather that the Railway had offices in Lloyd House for a time, whilst they sorted out the organisation in the 1960's. The transfer of the former Western Region premises in the Birmingham area to London Midland happened during this time.

The late Phil posted this photo showing the Hotel (on the Curzon Street Railway Station thread post #68) in 2013. Unfortunately no date was given for the photo but a very interesting photo of the site all the same. Presumably this was when the buildings were in use as a goods depot.

Viv.
8388154A-A6C3-4305-96ED-2C0256872F1A.jpeg

Last edited:
If I recall RAIL HOUSE became Quayside Tower later. As to Snow Hill, I also gather that the Railway had offices in Lloyd House for a time, whilst they sorted out the organisation in the 1960's. The transfer of the former Western Region premises in the Birmingham area to London Midland happened during this time.
I thought they might have changed the name at some point. My wife was working there in 1967 when we met. Her father also worked there. In the early 70s they split the Rail from the road and created the National Freight Corporation. My wife and her father transferred to the NFC and moved to the container base at Lawley Street. All such a long time ago.

Lawley Street was NFC, but the Freightliner Depot should be regarded as a separate entity, having various owners. Presently it is owned by an American company who operate the UK Freightliner business.

The ariel view is useful, Viv, which shows the view from Top Yard looking to the offices and goods shed, The level crossing is off the image on the top left.

Lawley Street was NFC, but the Freightliner Depot should be regarded as a separate entity, having various owners. Presently it is owned by an American company who operate the UK Freightliner business.

The ariel view is useful, Viv, which shows the view from Top Yard looking to the offices and goods shed, The level crossing is off the image on the top left.
Yes and the NFC became Excel and then got bought out by DHL.

Despite these posts, the present building still is regarded as the station building for the London & Birmingham Railway and even now as contractors dig out the adjacent ground for the diverted services, the structure is called the station by them.

The new billboards around the site from Moor Street have an interesting collection of images from the past and present but they still refer to the Hotel Building as the Station.

Work seems to have stopped on the refurbishment and there is a rumour that additional expenditure is required above the funding which has been granted. Is there any truth in this report?

I hope this is not yet another example of developers promising schools, cinemas, infrastructure, large amounts of "affordable" housing etc. when bidding,; items that disappear at a later date when it is convenient to do so

so has cash run out or is it a structural problem....i would have thought that before the restoration work began last sept a full structural survey would have been carried out...

as you say mike is this just another promise that will not be kept...

lyn

Last edited:
Back