• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

CURLEY electoral role look up

dottieau

master brummie
Could I ask for help please. I have recieved a death certificate for Ellen Curley widow of ........Curley.
date 26th January 1957. informant D Hodgetts niece 36 Bracken field Road Birmingham 22a. My Ellen G Curley was widowed in 1927 from Stephen Michael Curley so as this certificate does not have the husbands name. I was hoping some one would look and see how was living at this address. I have not been able to find a 2nd marriage for Ellen and the only other death was an Ellen G Curley death in Brighton 1963 that might match. I sent for the Birmingham on as that is were the lived.Thank you for any help you may be able to give me.

Hi Dottieau

36 Brackenfield Rd

1945 Francis S & Doris Hodgett
1947 Francis S & Doris Hodgett, Ella Young, Elizabeth M O'Connor, Margaret Kavanagh
1950 Francis S & Doris Hodgett
1955 Doris & Francis HodgettS
1960 Doris, Patricia M.A. & Maureen F. HodgettS

Note the earlier mention of Hodgett without an S.

Suzanne

Hi Dottieau

Doris Hodgetts maiden name was Skinner

Doris Skinner was born Sept quarter 1912, Birmingham mmn Robinson, Ellen Georgina’s maiden name was Robinson so I’m pretty sure you do have the correct certificate

You probably have this info, but it’s what I dug up whilst searching–

1911 census has them living at 1 back 28 Inkerman Street, Vauxhall – Stephen born 4[SUP]th[/SUP] January 1883, Ellen 1888.

According to his army pension records their address was 4 Phoenix (Felix) Place, Richard Street. They were married at St James on the 24[SUP]th[/SUP] September 1910 and Ellen’s maiden name was Robinson.

Stephen Michael and Ellen Georgina were at 4 court 3 Richard Street, Duddeston and Nechells on 1920 Electoral Roll.

Ellen was on her own at 86 Lord Street, Duddeston 1930

Ellen Georgina Curley was at 86 Lord Street, Duddeston 1939/40 with John and Mary Forester, she was also registered with George Robinson at 1 court 23 Scholefield Street, Duddeston in 39/40.

In 1947 Ellen G was at 1 back 174 Scholefield Street, Duddeston and in 1955 Charles and Elsie Tranter were also at this address.
bewdley

To Suzanne and Bewdley thank you both so much for all the information you have found out for me. I really appreciate this help. Ellen's husband was the twin brother to my husbands grand father. Reading through this makes me sad that Ellen lost her husband she was only young really and then lived the rest of her life with differant people. George Robinson would have been her brother. Thank you both once again. Dorothy

hi there ;
mary curly was a mother of tommy curly whom lived in ladywood and moved to peel street winson gren just hundred yards from the prison ;
and she was murdered and set on fire in her own bed by he attacker whom she knew after gpoing to the old smiths arms at the bottom of the street of peel street and winson green rd for a lunch time drink ;and he was a family friend
in the earkly sixties tom used to sing around the pubs a great litte guy and a very god close friend to my younger brother david
theuy was known as peter and gordon the singing duo ; tommy looked like peter
and they recorded a song in a new systle singing booth that was in the bull ring midland red bus station when they first introduced to birmingham ;
best of luck astonian;;

Astonian what a pity that is not my Curley family with your amazing memory of recollection of days gone by and all the people you remember I always read your posts hoping that some day it would be names from my tree you write about. I will keep this on file as I was once contacted about the Curley family from the Ladywood area mine all lived in the Duddeston area. Best wishes to you.

Good morning dottieau
sorry to hear it was no use to you nor your family tree but i am happy it was not one of your relative that suffered as well;
by this mean horribly guy whom destroyed the family of the other curley
i would just like to say thank you for your kind words in saying how you enjoy my threads of memory and you always look foreward to reading them ; good or bad some times they may ;
and i wish you all the best in the hope that one or two of our brillient team forum members get you want
as i am sure one hundred percent that our geniusis will deliver the goods of information for you eventualy
dot have a nice day and look after your self and take care out there ;
best wishes astonian;;

hi there ;
mary curly was a mother of tommy curly whom lived in ladywood and moved to peel street winson gren just hundred yards from the prison ;
and she was murdered and set on fire in her own bed by he attacker whom she knew after gpoing to the old smiths arms at the bottom of the street of peel street and winson green rd for a lunch time drink ;and he was a family friend
in the earkly sixties tom used to sing around the pubs a great litte guy and a very god close friend to my younger brother david
theuy was known as peter and gordon the singing duo ; tommy looked like peter
and they recorded a song in a new systle singing booth that was in the bull ring midland red bus station when they first introduced to birmingham ;
best of luck astonian;;

That was my Grandmother my father was John

Back