• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Cunningham family

jmadone

master brummie
I'm having trouble with reading the 1851 entry for my ancestors David Cunningham, his wife and sister in law. I can't decipher the street name on the entry. Could it be Smith Street?
1851 census.jpg
1851 census 2.jpg
Can anyone help please?

Mill Street?
I don't know if there is one in that Municipal area - sure someone else would know.

Below is the PO directory for Smith St c 1849. You can see that at no 96 is Willliam Brocklington, who is a little below Mr Cunningham in the list . Thomas Ryder, beer retailer appears several pages further on in the census at 103. Therefore the census is going down the numbering in the street,Thomas Bartlam, jeweller appears several pages before Mr Cunningham. The Numbering has not changed, and it is possible to definitely assign some buildings to the c1889 map below. The school was not there in 1851, and probably the site was occupied by courts. But it can be said that Cunninghams were between no 78 and 101 Smith St

PO directory smith St 1849.jpgmap c1889 showing numberong in smith st between 78 and 101.jpg

I'm having trouble with reading the 1851 entry for my ancestors David Cunningham, his wife and sister in law. I can't decipher the street name on the entry. Could it be Smith Street?
View attachment 163115
View attachment 163116
Can anyone help please?
Its Mill Street, it is in Birmingham near corner of Aston Road and Dartmouth Middleway, one of my relatives was also listed as being born/ living there. It is now small business units on that street.

Its Mill Street, it is in Birmingham near corner of Aston Road and Dartmouth Middleway, one of my relatives was also listed as being born/ living there. It is now small business units on that street.
Thanks for that Janet but that's muddied the waters a bit now. Smith Street or Mill st. More investigation I think!

yes no question its smith st in the parish of st george..very old street indeed...for interest we do have a thread for smith st with quite a few old photos before demolision

lyn

Back