• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cucumber

Alberta

Super Moderator
Staff member
We had a thread early last year about cucumber and onion in vinegar and many of you loved cucumber,I do too especially with salmon on sandwiches.
Whenever I eat cucumber(the only one in my family who likes it)I skin it but whenever you go to a buffet meal it has the skin on.
How do you prepare yours?

Hi Alberta

Regarding cucumber and onion , We all love it in my family but down here in the south it is not familiar to the locals .
I slice the cucumber ( skin on ) ,then slice the Spanish onion into a dish . Pour A mixture of warm water , malt vinegar and a little sugar onto it then leave to cool until required .Delicious on cheese sandwiches or anything you fancy .

Regards Isobel

Did some for new year in vinegar with a little sugar added. I always leave the skin on Alberta but on or off I still get indigestion. Have some smoked salmon Pete and I'm the one who eats that. My twins and their children tend to like the food I eat but not what their dad eats. I have some dill and herb cream cheese in a roll that goes lovely wrapped inside smoked salmon. Oh might just have some in a moment. Jean.

Have made my first cucumber and onion in vinegar [a touch of sugar] to have with tuna sandwiches this evening. Crumbs haven't had our dinner yet and thinking about tea time. Jean.

Love, love ,love cucumber sandwiches - only use the vinegar though , not the oil/sugar stuff!

However, have a major problem now - can no longer get malt vinegar where i am.
Obviously i am no longer in sunny UK but out in the wilds of another country(Canada!!)
Son is really disappointed (another lover of cucumber sandwiches and vinegar on his chips). Keeps asking me if i've found any when i go shopping but for some reason ALL the supermarkets around here no longer stock it.....

Kaz

It's funny you say that Kaz but someone the other day said they can't find blancmange in their stores in Ontario. Will go ask Mo about the vinegar for you. [malt]. Jean.

Thanks Jean - i miss the malt more than i ever would the blancmange though.Sorry!!

Next time i go shopping i'll try and see if they have Blancmange here in my stores.

Kaz

Back