• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

CRUNCH

postie

The buck stops here
Staff member
During the sixties I worked for a firm in Lionel St who's boss was a right poser. He had to have all the latest things as soon as they came out.
To give you an idea about the time scale, it was when the Ford Capri first came out. He had the first one registered in the Midlands.
One day he called me into his office and told me to take the Capri to Jacksons Garage in Summer Lane, because the steering wheel vibrated at speed. :roll:
I duly did as I was told and was informed that it would ready for collection about mid afternoon.
About two hours later, the boss came to me and said that he had a very important meeting and needed his car. We piled into my van and away we went to the garage. The car was still parked at the side where i had left it and the keys were in the ignition.
He jumped into the car and shot off the forecourt at a fast rate of knots____- well almost, he shot forward and there was an almighty CRASH!. The wheels had been removed and the car was left on axle stands. There was a terrific lot of damage caused to the underneath.
My boss got out of the car and was fuming. he said he was going to sue everybody involved, the garage for leaving it jacked up, ford for making a car that vibrated and me because i parked it there.
I never did find out who paid in the end but I suspect it was my boss because he never mentioned it again and hardly spoke to me at all.

Back