• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Crowthers Boutique

Thankyou so much for a very informative story about Uncle John. My name is Steve Crowther, I am the son of Johns eldest brother Bob and I was born in Oldham in 1962. My family moved to NZ in 1964 ( Mum was a kiwi ) and Bob set himself up in a butcher shop in Invercargill. I clearly remember how shocked everyone was with Johns passing and I still possess his wristwatch - a gold watch from Bravingtons London. I really wish I had got to know him and his two surviving brothers Bob and Barry speak highly of him as a real go getter. I have some photos ( wedding ) of John and his wife and will happily post them if anyone is interested. I would love to get as much information about John as possible and enjoyed the posts in manchester beat from some people who used to work for him.
Best Wishes Steve Crowther

What an amazing piece of history on Crowthers boutique Vandriver. I also remember looking through the window at all the lovely clothes.
Steve it would be lovely if you could post some photo's of John. It would bring the story to life as so many of us remember the shop.

I don't remember the anme Crowthers, but I remember the shop very well. I bought a wonderful pink skirt with buckles each side from there. It was definately on a corner somewhere in Corporation Street. It was a lovely shop and I wonder if it was in the building which is now the Alliance and Leicester. Looking at Google maps, that does look like the sort of building it was in, but I can't be sure.

I bought a dress from BIBA, mail order. I still have two or thee of their original catalogues somewhere.

The shop is now Regis the hairdressers. The frontage has been changed. When it was Crowthers I remember the entrance was diagonally across the corner of Corporation St and Fore St. Think the hairdresser's entrance is now on Corporation St. in a much earlier time it was Pattison's the restaurant/cake shop. So good that the building is still there, unchanged above, but changed quite a bit at ground level. Must be a prime spot for a business with so much footfall along there. We used to catch the 29 bus a little further up from Crowthers too. Viv.

Wow, great link A Sparks! Thoroughly enjoyed browsing it. The answer to the question in the blog about what you'd wear under the Crowther's dress is indeed hotpants! I had a dress similarly designed but shorter under which it was essential you wore hotpaints. If you failed to include them you'd have been labelled indecent, even by the 60s liberal standards. Viv.

According to Kelly's it was at
25/27. Corporation St. ( 1972 )
I've only just discovered this thread and FINALLY now remember the name of one of my favourite boutiques in Birmingham in the 70's. Beautiful and different and although I can picture exactly where it was on Corporation St, at last I've got the name!!

I worked in Crowthers, Corporation Street in 1971-2 and yes it was indeed on the site of the hairdressers and before that Kardomah cafe.
I loved it and the clothes- but I was a huge fan of Biba- which was our idea of heaven. It had taken over by a a Manchester family and we had a huge sale... it went on forever and so many bargains were to be had! Brown crepe- velvet etc. Fabulous edwardian style riding habit with long skirt in brown velvet was a huge hit and velvet trouser suits, all similar to Biba style, but manufactured in Manchester !

You most probably served me at the time Lolabelle ! Wasn’t it a great time to experiment with clothes and to buy clothes made from all sorts of textiles; pan velvets, crushed velvet, crepes, muslin, cheesecloth - the list goes on. I think it’s probably the only time I remember when you had such a choice of clothes made in so many natural fabrics. Crowthers was a favourite, along with Bus Stop (New Street) and Miss Selfridge (in Lewis’s). I so wish I could wear Crowthers clothes again.

Viv.

Just found this Forum and would like to hear more from Steve Crowther and especially photos of John's Wedding etc. I went to School with John who liked to be called JACK Crowther by the way. He once wore a flashy silky Jacket with a Dragon Motif (possibly) from somewhere like Korea or Japan that was given to him around 1960 by his older brother I think, that may have been serving in the ARMY abroad at the time. Best and fond regards and RIP Jack. John Lees of BJH still lives in the old farmhouse and I walk by with my Dog once in a while. Didn't know Jack was part of BJH though until now - interesting. BJH were big in Germany way back in the day.

Last edited:
Thankyou so much for a very informative story about Uncle John. My name is Steve Crowther, I am the son of Johns eldest brother Bob and I was born in Oldham in 1962. My family moved to NZ in 1964 ( Mum was a kiwi ) and Bob set himself up in a butcher shop in Invercargill. I clearly remember how shocked everyone was with Johns passing and I still possess his wristwatch - a gold watch from Bravingtons London. I really wish I had got to know him and his two surviving brothers Bob and Barry speak highly of him as a real go getter. I have some photos ( wedding ) of John and his wife and will happily post them if anyone is interested. I would love to get as much information about John as possible and enjoyed the posts in manchester beat from some people who used to work for him.
Hey, Get in touch - went to school with Jack up until 1960 and saw him a few times later on - could fill you in on a few things stuck in my memory banks. Are you on Facebook or Email? Regards, Den. Oldham. UK.

I worked in Crowthers, Corporation Street in 1971-2 and yes it was indeed on the site of the hairdressers and before that Kardomah cafe.
I loved it and the clothes- but I was a huge fan of Biba- which was our idea of heaven. It had taken over by a a Manchester family and we had a huge sale... it went on forever and so many bargains were to be had! Brown crepe- velvet etc. Fabulous edwardian style riding habit with long skirt in brown velvet was a huge hit and velvet trouser suits, all similar to Biba style, but manufactured in Manchester !
Did you know Jack Crowther well Lou? Do you live in Manchester? Den.

Den,

Lou has not logged on since the day she joined last June, and Steve not since the year before. Welcome to the Forum, but you may not hear from either of them on here.

Maurice :cool:

Den,

Lou has not logged on since the day she joined last June, and Steve not since the year before. Welcome to the Forum, but you may not hear from either of them on here.

Hi Maurice and thanks for your message. I had spotted that Lou and Steve were conspicuous by their absence and set about finding Steve in New Zealand - which I now have. I sent him an email inviting him to post on here and/or reply to my email address and that was only 3 days ago - he may reply or may not, his prerogative. I'll let you know but don't hold your breath. Best Regards, Den.

Den,

Hi Maurice, I found Steve in New Zealand and we exchanged one email. He wants to maintain his privacy it would appear. I invited him to continue on your Forum by updating his original post, but it looks as if he has declined. Regards, OwdhamDen.

Don't remember Crowthers but do remember Jealousy in the Bull Ring Shopping centre, bought all my clothes there. Also Werff by the top of Corporation Street.

Does anyone remember Crowthers boutique in New Street (sorry if it's been mentioned anywhere else before)?
I think it was in the corner building that used to be the Kardomah occupying the ground floor and the basement area.
They had quite unusual clothes (ladies fashions), alot of maxi style things.
Oh my, as a teenage girl Crowthers was my absolute favourite shop in Birmingham. The clothes were so cool. It was better than Lee Bender's Bus Stop. I wish I had hung onto the clothes as totally unreal. I also loved bands like Barclay James Harvest and Fairport Convention. If my memory is correct, it was smack opposite the appalling C and A. Such a contrast.

Cannot agree more. What a great time it was to be young. Such good memories.
With my Saturday job wages I bought something new to go out in almost every other week. And there’d still be change for a few drinks. Great times. Viv.

Cannot agree more. What a great time it was to be young. Such good memories.
With my Saturday job wages I bought something new to go out in almost every other week. And there’d still be change for a few drinks. Great times. Viv.
I was a student in Brum and I too had a part time job at the Norfolk on Hagley Rd. All the money dad sent me and my wages went in Crowthers. Gorgeous voile tops, maxi skirts and floppy hats. Woodstock came to Brum in the early 70 s x

Hi Steve. I am current writing a book on BJH and would welcome a chance to talk with you about your Uncle if you agree?

I would be really interested in any background stories about John Crowther and his work with Barclay James Harvest?

Hello to you Crowther interested types. I was John's (Crowther) first van driver (between around 1968 and 1970) and do remember the Corporation St shop, though not very well, given that I delivered garments there regularly. Dates are not my forte. John was a fantastic guy, very down to earth except when it came to his weakness - bands and pop music, of which more anon.
The Birmingham shop was being refurbished ready for its big launch the night I arrived. Builders everywhere and I was trying ot bring dresses in. As ever I ended up wielding a spade then a brush trying to get the shop ready for the morning's opening. the shhop was definitely on a corner, with a corner door, if you get my drift, and a spiral staircase inside. I parked on Corporation St and was told to put it on the pavement by a passing policeman as it was blocking the traffic (not pedestrianised then). A few minutes later another constable ordered me to put it on the road as it was blocking the pavement! a van driver's lot was not a happy one.
As I also worked in the warehouse I knew the garments well: Marcello crepe was a miniskirted suit as I recall. Let's just say it would not have kept you very warm in winter.
John first shop was in Oldham; a terraced house next to the market. He got publicity by painting the entire outside in a black and white Paisley pattern. His next shop was in South King St Manchester. Like the Oldham shop he had bought up lots of thigns from the slum clearnaces that were taking place around the area of Oldham and Manchester, to use ad shop fittings: bentwood coatstands - for hanging the garments on, huge mirrors, cheval mirrors, aspidistras in old pots or jardinieres. I often had to go buying stuff for him from second-hand shops.
He had a shop in Chester too, but it folded quite early on.
The London shop was on Ken High St, on the right as you approach the junction with Kensignton Church St., travelling from Kensington Palace area. I drove through overnight from Manchester to arrive at 08.00 at the shop, often delivering also to Miss Selfrige, Bus Stop and other boutiques.
No joined up motorways in those days, I had to drive over the Snake Pass to pick up the M1 near Chesterfield.
The London shop was, in my view, his undoing. Whereas he had bought cheap but very atmospheric fittings for his other shops, in Kensignton he had imported tiles from Malta and all sorts of other, over-the-top stuff. His budget kept climbing as his London-based pop-music-set pals kept advising him of what would be 'cool', man.
He employed loads of these new friends who, frankly, had no idea about running a business but were trendy to be with, and on the payroll.
The designs were fantastic. I am trying to remember the name of his designer - Pat something, I think. She designed a wonderful fantasy design of fairies and stuff, in the rain, and called it Sunny Manchester.
Basically, his design instincts were spot on, and so were his business instincts - at first. But, his weakness.
He and his wife bought a farmhouse in Saddleworth, in the Pennines above Oldham, but handed it over to Barclay James Harvest to use, much to his wife's dissatisfaction. And mine really. In the early days I was collecting dresses from the makers - mostly tiny sweatshops around Manchester, delivering them to the cramped Dickensian cellar in South King St that served as our warehouse, then delivering them on to shops; in a minivan. I don't mean a minibus, I mean little Austin mini van. The dresses were on individual hangers and bagged in plastic bags, so that, often, when I opened the back doors, 100 dresses would cascade onto the road like a river in flood.
So John bought me a big Transit parcel van. I had not had it more than a few days when the band - BJH - arrived at the office, and left with the van.
Too many tales. But I am convinced that John was too keen on being one of the guys on the band scene, and it hampered his business. Funnily enough, once John's patronage of BJH finished, they seemed to take off commercially. Odd eh?
John Crowther died in the dentist's chair of some freak accident at the age of just 26. He was a great bloke and had style and panache.
How wonderful to find someone who remembers Crowther’s, even if this post is from years ago. I was the house model for Crowther’s in 1970-71 and the designer Pat Artingstall made all the clothes on me! Part of my job was to go to London regularly with a suitcase of samples and model them for visiting buyers from other stores, Selfridges among them. My special favourites were the purple panne velvet items - I just wish I had kept them. I remember modelling some of the designs in the Manchester store when Granada TV came to film there - Scene at 6.30? - but i never saw It because I lived in Southport and was travelling home on the train when it was shown. I was based at the Crowther’s HQ in Ancoats, was given the job by a man called Warren (can’t remember his surname) who managed the office and a girl called Olwen worked there who was going out with one of the members of Barclay James Harvest.

How lovely Julie. Must have been so much fun to have been part of the fashion industry at that time.

How lovely Julie. Must have been so much fun to have been part of the fashion industry at that time.
It was great fun, Viv, and to be honest I felt like the queen! But just as much fun was finding people who actually remember Crowther’s as nobody I know now has ever heard of them ‍♀️ And by the sound of things I missed out by not actually meeting John Crowther himself. The only thing I still have from those days is a black suede belt with the distinctive cloud and butterfly design on the front and back which I would never part with, even though I was so skinny in those days that there is no chance at all of my ever being able to wear it again!

Well treasure that belt Julie ?

I bought various items from Crowthers mainly because I loved Biba and some of the clothes were in a similar style t9 Biba. I loved velvets and crepes, and they were in abundance at Crowthers and Biba. In the 1960s/70s we were spoilt with the vast range of fabrics transformed into great garments. Sadly I don't have any clothing from that time.

I can't remember how long Crowthers was in Birmingham, probably only during the 1970s I think. It had gone by the 1980s. But by that time fashions had totally changed. I'm so glad I had the chance to buy and enjoy those clothes. I don't think there's ever been a period of fashion that I've enjoyed wearing as much.

Back