• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Crown Inn - Villa Street

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi all dont know if any of you remember the crown pub on the corner of nursery road and villa street. i used to hang about with the girl whos parents ran it in the 60s. anyway heres a photo. wales

Attachments

• Crown Inn Villa Street - Lozells RD 1962.jpg
    Crown Inn Villa Street - Lozells RD 1962.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 4
Hi Wales

I don't remember a pub on the corner of Villa Street and Nusery Road. But your picture is dated 1968 and I would have been 3! I remember there being a pub on the corner of Wills Street and it could have been Villa Street but I cannot for the life of me remember its name. Just up from that on Wills Street was another pub - was it the Angel?

Here's a couple of recent photos of the Angel and The Waterloo that I took when passing.

Attachments

• Lozells Wills St  Waterloo Stores.jpg
    Lozells Wills St Waterloo Stores.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Lozells George St Angel[1].jpg
    Lozells George St Angel[1].jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 5
hi ya blue nose. ta for the pics. the angel dont look to bad but the poor waterloo. its got trees growing out of it. such a shame. me and me bro took a trip down there a few months ago. although the buildings go they cant take away our memories. wales

Hi Lyn, have just posted on the Wills Street site and then came across this thread with a picture of the Waterloo pub. Apparently there are plans in hand to demolish the Waterloo and the two derelict houses next to it to build new houses.

There is also mention on this thread of the Salvation Army premises on Nursery Road (I cannot find the thread I was looking for but I know we have discussed this before - I seem to remember you saying that there was still a tree there that you used to climb) Well there is a proposal for the council to buy and demolish this hall and use the extra space to build an additional 3 four to six bed houses there. There is also a proposal to develop 7 four to six bed houses on some open space at the corner of Church Street/Nursery Road.

Jules

caption is wrong on this one..should read nursery road/villa st..dated 1968..

DSCF0916.jpg

thanks kieron will take a look tomorrow..not so much downstairs as i was too young but ive been upstairs a few times as my friends grandparents well i think it was her grandparents had the crown have also got a photo somewhere of a childrens xmas party which was held upstairs

cheers

lyn

hi richard if you were in the crown between the years of 58 and 71ish you may have rubbed shoulders with our dad

lyn

Maybe 59 to 62! It was close enough and far enough from home!
in that case richard i may have been playing out around there...its a small world..i spent many times playing in the upstairs function room with the grandaughter of the landlord ...happy days

lyn

Yes, William Houghton took over as the licensee when his father John died in 1903!
Hello, William Houghton was my great grandfather who's father was John. I wonder if they are the same people I have on the birth cert of my great grandmother. It states that William Houghton was a currier though?? Many questions
Annie

i was here even later kieron...just turned 3 am :D
I was tucked up by 10.30 - cycled to Worcester at 9am to look at the elephants and Covid installation in the Cathedral, meandered back on bike calling at the Fox Inn at Monkwood Green, the New Inn at Sinton Green and the Fruiterer's Arms at Uphampton. Wobbled home, cooked dinner and watched the highlights of the Vuelta a España, munching on Belgian chocolates. A fairly full day so I was very tired.

elephant.jpg

I think the statement about william being John's son and taking over the pub may be incorrect, in that in the census of 1901 William, livin g at the pub is listed as his nephew, and no son name William is listed living with John in 1891 or 1881 (when john was then 27)
It is possible that the name on the token was the abbreviated name by which Arthur William Houghton was known - he was a son and publican of the Crown Inn during the Edwardian period.

BTW Edith Houghton, wife of Arthur, later moved to Rugby where she kept the Royal Oak and Red Lion, most of her life running pubs.

Last edited:
Back