• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

CROWN GREEN BOWLING

The Baron

master brummie
Any one know any one on this Picture of the new inns bowling club thats the one on the lichfield road mere green?
My late brothering law Norman Hampton played for them back in the late 60s early 70s this would be Wednesday & Saturday leagues, ???
I played for GEC MAGNET Thursday league :coolsmiley:

I only ever played one game of Green Bowling when I was 15 at Aston Hall Park now Ten Pin thats something else

Played Ten Tin Alf & loved it but My brother & his wife were the King Pins in our House
He played for M&B Brewers, Brewers Auto Spares,Villa Park A. & those are the only ones I remember.
You played at VILLA PARK & THE ABC PAVILION did you not?
We have covered this on previous posts about the Prince BROTHERS.
ASTON

You remember Brian Brewer then his dad had the Scrap Auto parts place in Erdington.
Auto Spares was his team.

My father,& brother- in -law
were both very keen bowler's having played for Kynock's
and Lea Hall bowling club in Handsworth
George Cummings was also a member of Kynock's B.C
have a picture someplace will have to scan it

The VILLA had a bowling green just in side the old main gate to Villa Park,(where the original LIONS CLUB was built and stood).
I have stood for hours by that green waiting to collecting autographs as the old players went in & out of the offices.(That was in the days of players such as Cummings,Ford,Smith & The Moss's)
I wonder if they ever played on that green?

Hello my name is Reggie ,I played for the new inns bowling club handsworth & also the handsworth social Holyhead rd handsworth club both clubs i am sorry to say they have gone now ,if any one is interested there is a picture of the new inns crown green bowling club on the handsworth site ,1960,s
Best Regards
Reggie

Robert, there are a few pubs in the Birmingham area that still have Bowling Greens. Many of the Bowling Greens were made into car parks since there wasn't any space to park
when people started coming to the pubs in their cars. Such a shame.

Some of them are Crown Bowling Greens and some aren't it seems. "The Beeches" Great Barr, "The Royal Oak" out Hagley Road way. The lovely old "Bell" in Harborne
"The Greyhound" in Court Lane, Erdington(this one is a Crown Green). "The Baldwin"
Hall Green, "The British Oak" Stirchley "The Black Horse" Northfield, "Olton Tavern"
Solihull, "The Ramada Inn" Solihull. I am sure there are a few others but not many I suspect in Birmingham. It's a shame. The Stockland Inn at Stockland Green had a
super Bowling Green many years ago. It's not even a pub anymore.

The Greyhound in Court Lane must have been one of the trickiest greens to play on in the Sutton area.When we played there,it would play fast one way but on the same land on return it would  play slow and break to either thumb or finger (the opposite to which you had bowled). I cannot remember ever winning an end there or even a match. :-[
ASTON

aston said:
You remember Brian Brewer then his dad had the Scrap Auto parts place in Erdington.
Auto Spares was his team.

Station Road Erdington they sold Bowling Balls and also fitted them for you, happy days

Well, all you bowlers better come on over to Tasmania - indeed all over Australia bowling is pretty popular. I've heard that younger people, and younger women, are also taking bowling up as a hobby. So get in there and form a new club! :)

Bowling green at the Three Magpies Hall Green (the Maggies) which is listed along with the pub itself and also part of the Hall Green Conservation area.

Hi Brummy ,
Has The Three Magpies Still Got A Bowling Green
It Was A Cracking Pub
The Guy Whom Owns It Now ,and I Believe Is Still The Owner
Bought The Pub Afew Years Back Now
His An Irish Man Son ,whom Was Brought Up In Around Monica Road
By The Name Of Liam Occonnor
Over The Years He As Bought Alot Of Pubs In And Around B,ham
And Outside Brum As Well
He Used To Live Around That Area ,
And He Bought It For His Daughter Maggie Is Wife Is Sue ,
Thats Why They Shortend The Name
He,s Been Buying All The Good Old Glory Days Pubs
He Owns The Old Golden Cross At Aston Cross
Now Named Orileys , And Occ,s In Digbeth And The Ajoining Little Bar Next To It
If I Was To Give You A List Of Names That This Man Has Obtained
I Would Be Here For Afortnight
Never Nor Less I Thought I Would Mention That About The Magg,s
Have A Nice Day , Astonian ,;;;;

Hi Astonian, yes the bowling green is still there at the Maggies. I think it is listed so can't be touched. I live on the same road as the pub, it's still got a lot of it's original Art Deco style features. Thanks for the information by the way.

Good Morning Brummie
Yes Its A Listed Building ,
I Know Liam And Wife Daughter ,
For Many Years Ican Remember
I Have Also Ran Some Of His Pubs For Them In Time Gone Bye
As I Have Said On My Previous Threads
I Am A Retired Publican My Self .
And I Am Well Known In The Trade And The
Mitchells And Butlers
Believe Me Liam Is A Wealthy Man And Sue
She Runs A Business In The Warstone Lane Jewerly Quarter
He.s Got Got Pubs Across The Country Far A Field .
Thanks For Your Reply On The Thread
Have A Nice Day Brum ; Best Wishes Astonian

My Dad used to play bowls at the Sheldon Pub on Cranes Park Road. I have happy memories of sitting in the sun on the benches that were placed around the edge of the green, drinking my vimto. At the front there was a meeting place for people who kept/ raced pigeons.
Sadly it's not there any more; many years ago they built new houses on it.

I also believe that the Three Horse Shoes in Sheldon had a bowling green- but I think that was turned into a carpark for the pub.

My Gran and Grandad also used to play- I think at Kings Heath park, but occasionly they'd take me and my brother to the Lickey's and have a game there. I remember sitting on the side making daisy chains while they played. Happy memories

My Dad was great crown green bowler, he was the chairman? or secretary? of The New Inns bowling club, Coventry Rd, Yardley pre WW2, and won many medals & cups he also played at The Swan pub, Yardley, he always called his bowls "woods" and he would clean them and wipe them over with Vaseline wrap them in dusters, put them in his bag and he was ready for his next game, the bowls were made of lignum vitae a very hard wood, they now make them of plastic, rink bowling is were the playing area is flat. Len.

Hi Everyone
Just picked up on this thread..I am the Steward of the Tally Ho Bowling club opp The Priory Hospital..The season has just finished but anyone interested for next season would be more than welcome
Maggie

My son plays for the Greyhound on Court Lane, Erdington. Its a great sport where many friends are made.

Hi just been reading the posts on crown green bowling , this is a sport I have just taken up and enjoying every moment . A great game and a very good social thing . Been back from holidays about 2 weeks now, we went to Menorca and the hotel had a great sports complex which included a bowling green, have posted a picture of me ( the one in the middle ). I played there as a guest of the Menorca bowling club who are all Brits who have retired out there, a very friendly crowd.

My grandfather Charles Coughlin spent his last few years as a greenkeeper at a bowling green in either Perry Park or Perry Hall Park not sure which. He died July 1960. E.

I used to do a lot of ten pin bowling up until 9 years ago tried indoor bowls. Wasn't ready for it at the time too slow but last year went to Weymouth to watch the daughter in laws parents and became a little more interested. It has a good social side and you can make friends if you are a single person where as you would not go to a pub on your own. Jean.

I picked up a set of Bowls about this time last year and till today I have not looked at them.

It is a Set of Four complete with shoes and a nice Towel.

They are HEMSELITE Super Grip size1 Black. 249 QG

Your comments if you please

Hi Alf, Although I am still a novice, it sounds to me like the bowls you have are flat green bowls as they do come in a set of 4 were as crown green bowls are just a pair. Maybe a more seasoned bowler may confirm this. Mike

Thanks Mike, 'not a lot of people know that' but I do now when confirmed.
You learn so much on this Forum its almost a rival to Google Ha.

Back