• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Crowley family

mjay

knowlegable brummie
Hi
My first post so please bear with me.
Interested in Crowley family it's on my nans side of our family tree.
They lived in Barford rd

My family and I would love to hear from anyone who has any connections with Crowley name

Thanx
Mandy :)

Hi Mandy ( & see your other post for info ) Barford Road is close to Dudley Road Hospital/All Saints Hospital (old names) in the B.ham B16 area but you need to post some more info about Crowley family & dates,, ok John

Looking for info please on
George Brocas Crowley DoB 1891 not sure if he served in ww1, haven't found anything as yet. DoD 8.7.1965 74 believe he married twice
Residence 33 Barford rd Birmingham in 1911
Parents George Crowley 1864 & Clara Pennell 1866

Thanx

1920-1922 George Brocas Crowley at 33 Barford Rd with parents
1925-1930 George Brocas Crowley at 33 Barford Rd with parents and Elsie Rose Crowley.
1939 at 3 Ryland Terrace,Barford Rd with Elsie Rose Crowley.
This address probably became 3 back 39 Barford Rd.
1945 George B Crowley at 3 back 39 Barford Rd with Elsie Crowley
1950-1955 George B Crowley at 3 back 39 Barford Rd with Martha Crowley
Marriages Mar 1915
George B Crowley married Elsie R Bevan Birmingham 6d 409
Deaths Jun 1947
Elsie R Crowley aged 56 Birmingham 9c 173
Marriages Dec 1948
George D Crowley married Martha Dunkley Birmingham 9c 988

Info from Ancestry
First Regimental number 1251 S.A.T.S Corps
Attestation 1/12/14 joined Troops R E (original ripped.)
Joined Sig Corp 22 16/4/18
502182 Rank of Driver,21 Div Signal Corp
discharged 10/6/1919
5ft 3 in height. Pre war occupation was Moulder.
1/3/19 provided with glasses and possibly transferred to Infantry Unit

Last edited:
Wow thanks
Really do appreciate the help.

Wonder why he didn't go in bantham unit like his brothers as he was only (5ft 3)little too?
What does S.A.T.S stand for?

Not sure. ? Army Transport ? Corps?
There are about 16 images on Ancestry if you type in his name and search military.

Army records aren’t very clear but to me looks like Sthn Army Troops S​ig Co R.E. Regtl No 1251 and R.E. 502182.

Hi, I don't know if i'm related,so i hope you don't mind me adding to your thread.
My late grandfather George Gordon Desmond Crowley left Birmingham in 1950 for Brisbane Australia. I'm trying to find any info about him and his ancestors.
I've found info on a few census'.
His parents are: George Thomas Crowley (1894-?) & Mabel Harrison and lived at 84 Clissold st.
His grandparents are: John Thomas Crowley (1868-?) & Edith
His great grandparents are: Thomas Crowley (1831-1927) & Jane
Thomas seems to have done well as a gold chain maker as he retired early at age 50.

Apparently my grandfather's (george g d crowley) grandmother lived at 2 Beaks rd smethwick and had a Horse and Carriage Funeral Procession for a famous person in the 1920s.
Also he was meant to be in the newspaper for helping put out a fire at the hippodrome that was bombed during world war 2.
Also he did a bit of work in filming movies, eg special lighting effects and photography, but don't know where.

Any info on these events or relations would be wonderful!
Thanks, Briony

Hi Briony
Nice to meet you
I don't recognise any of your names,
I have looked at what relations I have found, sorry but there's none that match, will keep my eyes open in case anything turns up.
Good luck with your search
Mandy

I am trying to trace the death of my 3 x great grandmother, Georgina Crowley nee Allen. I have Georgina in 1901 census with her husband Joseph at 88 Eva Road. Joseph died on 29 July 1904 at same address but the informant was a C Thomas, granddaughter, present at the death. C Thomas appears to be my great grandmother, Clara Thomas nee Poole. Did Georgina die before Joseph hence being present at death? I have looked for another marriage for Georgina without success. If anyone can help with any info on Georgina it would be greatly appreciated.TIA

I can't see anything that may be it before or after, even for Crowley on its own or Georgina on its own.

Do death certificates not list marital status that early?

I can't see anything that may be it before or after, even for Crowley on its own or Georgina on its own.

Unfortunately not. Not sure where to go from here.

hi anne i also cant find georgina after the 1901 nor a death but i will carry on looking after dinner.if she did remarry she would have been over 73 however there is always the chance that she met someone else and they lived together taking his name in which case we have very little chance of finding her...

lyn

Last edited:
Do you know if her first name was actually Georgina?
Have you found her on other censuses - I am just wondering if she was known by another name and that got recorded on her death?

Have you found her on other censuses - I am just wondering if she was known by another name and that got recorded on her death?
jan married joseph when she was 53 on the 71.81 and 1901 she is down as georgina

This may be complete coincidence but..1911 census a Clara Thomas lives in Nechells Place off Nechells Park Road.
Off Nechells Park Road is Eliot Street and (still marked today) off there is Brockley Place. On 1911 census living alone is Ann Crowley born 1828 and givng her relationship as Aunt and she is a widow.
Does this mean she was stll alive in 1911??
1698254910665.png

Last edited:
  • Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
I have their marriage certificate dated 19 Jun 1871. Georgina, spinster, was 41, Joseph was 45, widower. I have Georgina on all censuses apart from 1841 and 1891 - neither of which I can find. I have still to find Georgina's baptism and everything is pointing to her being illegitimate - DNA matches particularly. I also am thinking that she may have been baptised as something else. Her suspected parents had a daughter in 1828 (within a year or two of Georgina's birth according to censuses) with the name Susannah. Georgina served in a household where a daughter was called Georgiana which may have been a name my Georgina liked.

This may be complete coincidence but..1911 census Clara Thomas lives in Nechells Place off Nechells Park Road.
Off Nechells Park Road is Eliot Street and (still marked today) off there is Brockley Place. On 1911 census living alone is Ann Crowley born 1828 and givng her relationship as Aunt and she is a widow.
I can't find a map showing me where Nechells Place would have been. Does this mean she was stll alive in 1911??
View attachment 185417
Another avenue to explore, me thinks! I will see if I can find a death for Ann and send off for the PDF.

Have found Nechells Place which still exists and it is the opposite end of Nechells Park Road but I still think this is a good coincidence. Doesn't find her death but.... :rolleyes:

Back