• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Crossroads programme

We were in the cage,A coach load of us from the Buccaner pub in Streetly.

They told us to bring some dry cloths with us as there MIGHT BE A POSSIBILITY WE MIGHT GET A LITTLE WET :laughing: :laughing: :laughing::laughing:

I had a drink in the bar at Central studios after a few of the Tiswas shows with the cast. I remember there was a guy who was the phantom flan (or custard pie) flinger. The trouble was, as he was completely covered in a black mask and cape on set nobody knew who he was in the bar. How sadly ironic that such a figure known to millions never got the recognition from his adoring fans that he deserved.

Yes remember him,running everywhere.It was great fun but complete MAYHEM. The kids of today dont know what great times we had.And I was 35 at the time

I used to love the way that when arrivals were handed their key at reception with the words like "There you are sir, chalet 14" or when they departed with "We hope you enjoyed your stay" if they were extras they weren't allowed to speak (I think it was a question of only people with an Equity cards were allowed to speak- and got paid more for it.) So the poor extras would just nod their heads or smile and make an appreciative mumbling noise then shuffle off the set.
Still the rule, Tracey in Eastenders must have had to get an Equity card for when they started to let her speak.

Bob

I'm fascinated by these conventions in soaps. It's like the guy in the hat in "Eastenders" who never speaks but is always conveniently around to be asked to look after the market stall for one of the main characters when they have to nip off for a while to do something to move along the plot. Where "Crossroads" differed from "Coronation Street" and "Eastenders" was in its simple naivety. Despite all the challenges faced at the motel, you had the impression that in the end it would all turn out for the best and that in each character there was a fundamental core of decency, even if sometimes they lost contact with it for a while. "Eastenders" just constantly reminds us that life is miserable, humans are essentially weak and corrupt and if things can work out badly, they inevitably will. I think that's why "Crossroads" had to go- not enough darkness in it.

They ought to take that card off her straight away

DO YOU THINK SHE MIGHT HAVE TO SHOUT WHEN THEY START RECORDING AGAIN.6ft apart

Rachel, did your uncle live in Sutton Coldfield and attend Boldmere Junior School in the 1950's? If so, I was a classmate of his.

Jane Rossington (Jill) had her hair done a few times at the shop I worked at. She lived in Sutton and I think married a local Solicitor. I think Miss Diane was married to Carl Wayne...this is stretching my brain cells...ha ha
Jane Rossington went to Sutton Coldfield High School for Girls - she was in the year below me.

No he wasn't. I know because his parents were friends of his parents. I recall he was their only child and then of course he died at a fairly young age.

He did suffer with Hodgkins Disease which limited his mobility , and the plotline was wrote into the series for his character being paralysed

So sorry to hear about Jane's problems - she was such a bright girl. The chef's wife in Crossroads also went to Sutton High. I think she was Josefina? Played by Gillian Betts. She was in my school year.

Back