• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Crossroads programme

My wife was also fond of Mr. Hunter! (She had such good taste in men! Ha ha!). According to an article I once read, Ronald Allen worked a 46-hour week on the show, 5 days a week; ten months of the year, so the pace of working on Crossroads would have been relentless. He liked to collect antiques and works of art, which he kept at his Clapham, London home, where he stayed at the weekends.
He was a studious man, going on holidays to remote places, to further his knowledge of archeology.
Although he was once awarded the title of Britain's Best dressed Man, he'd had to buy his own suits for the show, as ATV's wardrobe budget was, at the time, just £6. Not enough to buy you tie these days! Sadly, he died at the young age of 60. He'd been a heavy smoker for many years. Probably the stress of being so famous.

Alf did your wife ever watch Mr Allen in the BBC serial/soap Compact some years before Crossroads, he had an American accent in that as a so-called tycoon

Alf did your wife ever watch Mr Allen in the BBC serial/soap Compact some years before Crossroads, he had an American accent in that as a so-called tycoon
Yes she did! As you'll know, Ronald Allen also appeared in the 1958 film A Night To Remember, starring Kenneth More (never keen on him, a bit smug), and he was also in TV series United! (1965-66), Dr. Who, (1968-70) and Hell Boats (1970). Have you seen any of these programmes, as I don't think any have been on the box for a long time. When we bought our first video recorder, a Ferguson model in 1984, the first programme my wife got me to record was Crossroads. Even though we'd just watched it on Central, we then sat through it four more times in a row!

Yes she did! As you'll know, Ronald Allen also appeared in the 1958 film A Night To Remember, starring Kenneth More (never keen on him, a bit smug), and he was also in TV series United! (1965-66), Dr. Who, (1968-70) and Hell Boats (1970). Have you seen any of these programmes, as I don't think any have been on the box for a long time. When we bought our first video recorder, a Ferguson model in 1984, the first programme my wife got me to record was Crossroads. Even though we'd just watched it on Central, we then sat through it four more times in a row!

A Night To Remember I've seen , Dr Who in the real early days . None of the rest

A friend who is a morris dancer once had to teach Paul Henry and others at the Rep some morris steps for a play. It was some time ago.

Google had this to say about Paul Henry's pub in 2006:

A CITY pub once owned by former crossroads star paul henry has finally reopened.

Billy's Bar, in Coventry Street, Digbeth, had been closed for more than three years until businessman Altaf Ali decided to buy it and reopen the once popular pub.

I wonder who I was thinking about?

Google had this to say about Paul Henry's pub in 2006:

A CITY pub once owned by former crossroads star paul henry has finally reopened.

Billy's Bar, in Coventry Street, Digbeth, had been closed for more than three years until businessman Altaf Ali decided to buy it and reopen the once popular pub.

I wonder who I was thinking about?

it obviously was not a success at re opening as a pub as it has been a back packers place since at least 2009...shame

lyn

Got it! ah, my memory fades ... Paul used to sometimes drink in The Dingle in Frankley .. that's where I saw him (when I was brave enough to go in there) ... in my youth it was 'a bit of a dodgy pub' if your face didn't fit

Back