• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Crossroads programme

If memory serves Stan Stennett played Sid Hooper who either worked or owned the Garage in Crossroads

I always watched "Crossroads" along with my Mom when I came to Brum for a visit. Here are a couple of Youtube items from the show and there
are lots more mentioned on the sidebar. I loved this interview with Roger Tonge, Noele Gordon and Sue Hanson https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcFzNrpWVIY
Roger Tonge was so funny and everyone was very sad when he died.
This other clip is from a memorial when Noel Gordon passed away. Some shots of Brum in this and a ride along to the "Crossroads Motel". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN--EG_TPw8&NR=1&feature=endscreen I also liked
Amy Turtle in this show. Very natural and great to watch. Great memories going back to those times. Thank goodness we can see them online.

You ain't wrong there steve. I think everyones favourite would probably be. Meg and hugh's wedding altho I thought it was a bit soppy but that's men for you

Maybe thats No1 Nij. I seem to remember Meg had a sister called Kitty? at the start. I seem to remember it being top of the ratings for ages. Be nice to hear from one of the cast because it all sounds like we liked it here and sometimes I felt it got bad press without really deserving it at all. But we seem to like having a go at things dont we as a national pass time and for that I blame the free press (but thats a different thread I guess)

Many years ago a friend went for an audition for Crossroads. He didn't get the part because he kept remembering his lines!

Alright they wasn't the best actors or the sets were a bit shakey but the audience loved it just the same. Maybe it's because we like prying into other people's lives.as a pastime. Maybe that's why reality tv is so popular.

Mornin' Silly me !!!!!! Sorry, just realised I have been getting mixed up between Crossroads and Lunchbox ??????
It was Lunch Box when we were teaching the Lombada to Nollie !!!!!!
I was wondering why so far no one had mentioned the trio { Gerry Allen ???? } Just couldn't work out why there
would be musicians in Crossroads { oh! my poor little head } Phew ! glad thats over.
Betty

What a great thread! My dad was a big fan of Noelle Gordon and had a signed photo from her in his bedside cabinet.
Paul Henry used to be in things at the Rep and I saw - brain has failed - she played the woman who ran the garage - in an adaptation of 'Emma' at the Oxford Playhouse. I suppose many of the cast are no longer with us.
I can very vaguely remember Lunch Box.

maria

I have the impression that Crossroads was not a soap that had a lot of violence in it which maybe was its success whilst it lasted. I guess most non Midlanders will remember the actress who appeared on the Juke Box programme with her "I'll give it five". (note I have not tried to imitate her accent! :friendly_wink:)

Mornin' Silly me !!!!!! Sorry, just realised I have been getting mixed up between Crossroads and Lunchbox ??????
It was Lunch Box when we were teaching the Lombada to Nollie !!!!!!
I was wondering why so far no one had mentioned the trio { Gerry Allen ???? } Just couldn't work out why there
would be musicians in Crossroads { oh! my poor little head } Phew ! glad thats over.
Betty

Jerry Allen (organ), previously with the Jan Ralfini Band, Ken Ingerfield (bass), later with the Syd Lawrence Band, Lionel Rubin (drums). Later they added Alan Graham (vibes), and became a quartet

Eddie.

Chris Tarrant told an anecdote about Crossroads on the ATV DVD's from MACE- he said that during one scene being filmed, Amy Turtle was hoovering very loudly while the main actors were delivering their lines- making so much noise that they couldn't be heard. The director asked her why she was hoovering in that scene, and she replied in her broad Brummie accent "It's in the script!!!". The director looked at the script and it read- 'Amy turtle hovering in background'.

Crossroads Motel made an appearance in last night's episode of Endeavour (ITV 8.00). Well the exterior sign did - not the interior. It was a little way into the episode. There were many references to 'near Birmingham' and Kings Oak. And there were scenes of old abandoned railway stations too - not sure they really were abandoned or renovated station made to look abandoned, but interesting all the same. Viv.

Not all the railway stations were abandoned - just a portrayal. The line in the programme was supposed to represent the 'Varsity' line - Cambridge to Oxford. This line closed in 1967 although the tv programme was set in 1968. The station with green paintwork was Ropley on the Mid Hants Railway which runs around ten miles from Alton to Alresford. The steam locomotive was 76017, which is a British Railways class 4MT (derived from an LMS design) built in 1953 and withdrawn in 1965. There was also a Class 33 diesel locomotive which is based in Hampshire.
The 'abandoned' looking place was Quainton Road station belonging to the Buckingham Railway Centre. I did not watch the programme closely, just being interested when trains were heard ;) so I missed the Birmingham connections.

Back