• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Crossroads programme

My late mother in law went to the blessing of Meg Richardsons(Noelle Gordon)marriage to Hugh.
I can't remember whether it was St Martins or St Phillips, but i always got the impression my M-i-law thought it was real,LOL

Your Mother in law wasn't on her own , I had the privilege in the late 60's of a tour around the Crossroads set and also the Golden Shot set . Our guide was a personal friend that worked for ATV , as we walked around the set seeing doors screwed to walls that would never open , looking down between the alley doors either side screwed to the wall . He made a couple of us chuckle saying that we would not believe the amount of applications for bookings they received can you believe it. BY the way ATV were in their new studios at that time on Bridge St . On our way to the bar We met Trevor Lucas the announcer with his stacked heels , he's uncredited as a detective in one of my Scotland Yard or Edgar Lustgarten box sets

Susan Hanson/Miss Diane did marry carl wayne. She married him as you say in 1974 until his death in 2004. They had one son called jack.

My missus as a young lady just left school , had the pleasure of serving Miss Diane in Parker Winder & Achurch on Broad St in the 60's

crossroads was never to be missed in our house.....ann george better known as amy turtle was also a singer and i saw her doing a turn at the woodman pub corner of well st and barr st....this would have been mid 70s

lyn

My Grandaughter spent the evening with Carolyn Jones who played Sharon Metcalf in Crossroads the other evening, met her thanks to her Uncle, who was producer on the Archers and Eastenders, when they went out for a meal.

One of my favourite DVDs to accompany my sessions on my excercise bike is the Ipcress File (Michael Cane), so what's this got to do with the price of fish? The delectable Sue Lloyd - the perfect woman? Almost (she didn't have a Brummie accent), never could understand how she got the part in Crossroads. Is she still around? I haven't checked, better not to know the answer to some questions.
Peg.

A moderator has moved the attachment to this post to: https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/peg-monkey-cartoons.48101/page-3

Last edited:
Peg,

As you say, probably best not to know. Sadly Sue passed away on 20 October 2011

Maurice

A chap I worked with in America told me that he played a character called Colin Warboys (?) in Crossroads, which I only ever watched to take the mickey out of the terrible acting and rickety scenery. I was impressed, until I accidentally discovered that the character Warboys (?) was in only one episode.....not quite fame, then.

G

Not Crossroads but a lady I knew, with no interest in DIY, always watched Barry Bucknell to have a laugh at when he hit his thumb or the shelving he was assembling collapsed.

Not Crossroads but a lady I knew, with no interest in DIY, always watched Barry Bucknell to have a laugh at when he hit his thumb or the shelving he was assembling collapsed.

Oh dear Barry Bucknell, who could forget?

“Here’s how to cut a slab, chip crack snap, oh well, here’s one I did earlier”.

“Here’s how to put hardboard over those nasty panelled doors”

“let’s rip out this cast iron Victorian fireplace and fit a nice new modern two bar electric fire with a Formica back”.

Just like the producers of Crossroads, he has a lot to answer for

Oh dear Barry Bucknell, who could forget?

“Here’s how to cut a slab, chip crack snap, oh well, here’s one I did earlier”.

“Here’s how to put hardboard over those nasty panelled doors”

“let’s rip out this cast iron Victorian fireplace and fit a nice new modern two bar electric fire with a Formica back”.

Just like the producers of Crossroads, he has a lot to answer for

Its the biggest cause of visits to the A&E if you're not proficient in DIY

Getting back on thread - well, I did give the thread a twist - I have to say Crossroads was probably appreciated more in central England (or by those who had emigrated) but it always seemed to have an amateur dramatic feel on the occasions I saw it.
However, in its defence, it certainly did not have the aggression and misery that EastEnders seems to have. I haven't seen Eastenders for years but probably Crossroads, had it survived, would have had to get into line with the present day tv preference for violence, shouting matches and coarse living.

Getting back on thread - well, I did give the thread a twist - I have to say Crossroads was probably appreciated more in central England (or by those who had emigrated) but it always seemed to have an amateur dramatic feel on the occasions I saw it.
However, in its defence, it certainly did not have the aggression and misery that EastEnders seems to have. I haven't seen Eastenders for years but probably Crossroads, had it survived, would have had to get into line with the present day tv preference for violence, shouting matches and coarse living.

Bravo Radio hear hear , I haven't watched that for about 20 yrs , what with all the squinting and violence , whats more I think Emmerdale is going the same way haven't watched that either for years , since they moved out of top field and moved away from farming

The chap who played Benny had a pub off Floodgate Street
Yes Morturn, I think he called it Bennys, I went in it once in the 1980s expecting to see Benny serving behind the bar, he wasn't , it was quite a nice traditional pub.
I expect the pub is still there, but called something else.

Haven't watched soap operas since the Newcomers finished. Vaguely remember a play at the rep with Noel Gordon and Polly James (James was a pro compared to Gordon) . I once did the tour of Pebble Mill where the official highlight was a demo of the work of the sound effects doing a bit for the Archers.

Back