• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

"Crossroads" Quiz

I'm quite pleased with my score of 9, as I was away in Northampton for a lot of it and we couldn't always get coverage.
Thanks JennyannSue

Hello, I got 10 out of 14 (few guesses) there was a character with the same name as me at that time, Anne Taylor. Once went in to a shop in Corporation Street in the early 70's looking for a new dress to be told 'Miss Diane from Crossroads has bought the same one as this'. Didn't impress me. All I can remember was that it had a scarf hanging down the front, and she was considerably older than me and I have never been a hero worshipper, so I declined!

I scored seven and most of them guesses. It loaded for me in the end. Thanks for that Jennyanne. Jean.

Thought I'd give it a go. Scored a mere 6! But then I only used to watch it occasionally. Honest! Viv.

11 here as well. Nice to see Mrs Tardebigge (Elsie Kelly) now has a big part in hit TV show Benidorm as Noreen Maltby.

PS You can still see clips on You Tube.

Last edited:
Really surprised but I scored 11!
Most of the answers I guessed as my family rarely watched the programme (honestly!) we thought it was a bit of a joke.

12 out of 14, mostly guesses tho' .............

A lot of Crossroads external filming was done around here. We were just 10 minutes from Penns Hall Hotel (Crossroads External opening shots). Our Church, shop, post office, lanes, fields all featured. I was on duty for 12 hours one day when they sealed the Village off to shoot a Wedding in the Church. 7am - Coaches, Vans, Track for the Cameras, Corporate Hospitality, Make Up Lorries & Caravans. All day doing the same shots only to use just 13 minutes in one episode. I gave up at 7pm and went home !
I've still got the episode on tape.

................and NO ..... I wasn't a fan, but I just loved Amy Turtle's "Brummy" accent !

EErrm, Brummy accent? Not too sure, think it was a combination of Brummy/Black country! I'm a proper Brummy, don 't sound anything like Amy Turtle, thank God !!!!!

Anne ... Note "" around word !

I couldn't take Crossroads seriously, I still can't with these other 'soaps' , especially The Archers, whose writers used storylines from this and surrounding Villages back in the 80s. They, (esp Eastenders and Coronation St), are calculated to MAKE people watch by dragging out totally impossible storylines. Murders, USI, etc., with Criminals evading capture or even being detected by the Police, or known about by their friends & neighbours.

No, Crossroads was a Child of it's time, and Like Compact and The Newcomers, (Also shot, externals, in this Village), were 60s products that struggled to survive the next decade.

Hi Pete, I agree, only watched soaps in the 60's because my parents did. Nowadays, usually time for a nap because the storylines are ridiculous. Preferred Emmerdale when it was a farm. Anne

Back