• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Crossroads programme

I thought this might be worth a mention. Did you know it's the 10th anniversary of the very last episode of crossroads this year and next year is the 50th anniversary of the first episode. The crossroad appreciation society are setting up events to. Remember it by. We never missed an episode in house. Even with shakey sets it was watching. Especially amy turtle.
I just stumbled across this post as I was going to ask if the sets really did used to move about. I am old enough to remember Crossroads (although I was only a child) but I have always wondered if the sets did wobble!!!!! Obviously they did!!!!!

I haven't looked up Crossroads on-line as I don't really want to spoil what I can remember about it, it is tempting to try and spot the wobbly sets!!!!!

Miranda Pollard was our sandwich lady years after Crossroads!!! She was really bubbly and upbeat.

I just stumbled across this post as I was going to ask if the sets really did used to move about. I am old enough to remember Crossroads (although I was only a child) but I have always wondered if the sets did wobble!!!!! Obviously they did!!!!!

I haven't looked up Crossroads on-line as I don't really want to spoil what I can remember about it, it is tempting to try and spot the wobbly sets!!!!!

Miranda Pollard was our sandwich lady years after Crossroads!!! She was really bubbly and upbeat.

Kat7272 I can't obviously say that I saw any shaky bits when I went around the set . All doors where screwed directly to the wall window shutters likewise , reason being none of the doors actually opened all done by expert camera manipulation etc

OK this is my moment of glory. I had an ex-girfriend who was a production assistant on "Crossroads," a show which I adored for many reasons. When I was back in Birmingham she'd invite me to come to Central Television studios and watch "Tiswas" live on a Saturday morning. AND she took me round the set of "Crossroads" AND yes I stood behind reception and picked up the phone and said "Crossroads, can I help you?" And yes I've still got the 45 of Benny's "Where do I go from here?"

Hi Williamstreeter and Alf rogers. I remember "Compact" and "United." These were of course rivals to "Crossroads" because they were on the BBC. "United" was launched at about the same time as "The Newcomers" I think as a kind of pilot to see which one would catch the imagination of the public and replace "Compact" - in fact neither for very long as it turned out. Certainly "United" was produced at the Pebble Mill studios, perhaps "The Newcomers" as well? I remember one Sunday going down to the field next to the studios where there was a football pitch to watch the cast of "United" play a charity match against some veteran footballers from Birmingham City- Gil Merick was in goal for Brum. I guess that must have been around 1963-4.

Hi Williamstreeter and Alf rogers. I remember "Compact" and "United." These were of course rivals to "Crossroads" because they were on the BBC. "United" was launched at about the same time as "The Newcomers" I think as a kind of pilot to see which one would catch the imagination of the public and replace "Compact" - in fact neither for very long as it turned out. Certainly "United" was produced at the Pebble Mill studios, perhaps "The Newcomers" as well? I remember one Sunday going down to the field next to the studios where there was a football pitch to watch the cast of "United" play a charity match against some veteran footballers from Birmingham City- Gil Merick was in goal for Brum. I guess that must have been around 1963-4.
In 1966 (I think it was) as an apprentice gasfitter I went to the BBC Gosta Green studios to fit a gas cooker on the set for 'United.' The fitter and I duly did the job and on the way out a late arriving member of the cast, George Layton, now a renowned writer, producer etc ran into me at the entrance. I wonder if he remembers?

In 1966 (I think it was) as an apprentice gasfitter I went to the BBC Gosta Green studios to fit a gas cooker on the set for 'United.' The fitter and I duly did the job and on the way out a late arriving member of the cast, George Layton, now a renowned writer, producer etc ran into me at the entrance. I wonder if he remembers?

Hell AlanD2 Welcome to the forum , I think Newcomers was from Gosta Green studios . The reason I say that is one night walking past Lee Longlands on Broad St , George Woodbridge actor was waiting for the bus at Lee Longlands . I used to live in William St around the corner , I recognised Mr Woodbridge because of his appearances in Stryker of The Yard with Clifford Evans

OK this is my moment of glory. I had an ex-girfriend who was a production assistant on "Crossroads," a show which I adored for many reasons. When I was back in Birmingham she'd invite me to come to Central Television studios and watch "Tiswas" live on a Saturday morning. AND she took me round the set of "Crossroads" AND yes I stood behind reception and picked up the phone and said "Crossroads, can I help you?" And yes I've still got the 45 of Benny's "Where do I go from here?"
You have my deepest sympathy, I hope the treatment worked and you are now fully recovered.

It does seem Birmingham does not have the luck of London or Manchester. Both long running soaps set in those cities (as far as I know) are still screened. Crossroads never gained the popularity of the others.
The best tv programme to come from the city was, in my view, Pebble Mill at One. A severe blow to the city when both BBC and ITV walked out on it.
Regional studios can be very behind times with news. My local BBC web site has news some days old and the ITV studio is over 100 miles away in Bristol. They make believe they are local by screening a background of the Britannia and Tamar bridges.

Did you know Benny had a trial for Aston Villa when Ron Saunders was in charge .SEE U TUBE.SO FUNNY

Last edited:
When in the Navy and stop over in Barbados 1975, saw Noel Gordon on the Beach, also Reg Watson used to live in a Big house over looking the Common at Hodge Hill never seen him though

I used to love the way that when arrivals were handed their key at reception with the words like "There you are sir, chalet 14" or when they departed with "We hope you enjoyed your stay" if they were extras they weren't allowed to speak (I think it was a question of only people with an Equity cards were allowed to speak- and got paid more for it.) So the poor extras would just nod their heads or smile and make an appreciative mumbling noise then shuffle off the set.

Hi Edifi, yes but think of the honour of being soaked in front of millions of TV viewers. Were you al in a cage or am I getting confused with another programme?

Back