• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Crossroads programme

I always thought the studio was Aston Cross (the old Astoria cinema), I must be thinking of something else ! Eric
as far as i know eric you are correct.. the first studio was in aston cross but i didnt think it was in the astoria cinema...i thought the ATV studio was in a building which i think is still standing...think i read they then moved to bridge st...all this would need confirming or not as the case maybe...

lyn

I had a drink in the bar at Central studios after a few of the Tiswas shows with the cast. I remember there was a guy who was the phantom flan (or custard pie) flinger. The trouble was, as he was completely covered in a black mask and cape on set nobody knew who he was in the bar. How sadly ironic that such a figure known to millions never got the recognition from his adoring fans that he deserved.
The Phantom Flan Flinger on Tiswas was a Black cab driver for TOA taxis called Benny Mills....Benny is still alive and kicking in Cheswick Green Solihull area....he got all the contract work for taxi filming as he had became best of mates with Chris Tarrant...good nights at ATV social club next to Holiday Inn hotel

Viv, there are a couple of similar windows in Gas Street, but not such a long run. Were the studios in that area then? I know they were in later years.
rosie.
Rosie the Crossroads set was in the all singing all dancing at the time ne ATV studios in Bridge St I was lucky enough to get a guided tour around there, we saw the Crossroads set . Then we went onto the. Golden Shot set , we also met the late Trevor Lucas the announcer, remember the days when we had the announcers in between programmes . Then up to the bar yippee .

as far as i know eric you are correct.. the first studio was in aston cross but i didnt think it was in the astoria cinema...i thought the ATV studio was in a building which i think is still standing...think i read they then moved to bridge st...all this would need confirming or not as the case maybe...

lyn
I understand The Theatre Royal was converted to The Astoria Cinema in 1927 (1st photo below) and then became Alpha Television Studios in 1956 (2nd photo), prior to being demolished in 1973 to make way for a new building. I think the building @ #211 was a 5-storey office block ATV built, which was taken over by BRMB radio in 1974, after ATV had moved to Broad Street (3rd photo is as it was planned to look, as I can't find one that shows how it actually did look, but from memory that seems close, the 4th shows it's position heading towards the city & the 5th after BRMB had vacated).
1666705840866.png 1666705904089.png
1666707846572.png 1666708628937.png 1666708754299.png

I understand The Theatre Royal was converted to The Astoria Cinema in 1927 (1st photo below) and then became Alpha Television Studios in 1956 (2nd photo), prior to being demolished in 1973 to make way for a new building. I think the building @ #211 was a 5-storey office block ATV built, which was taken over by BRMB radio in 1974, after ATV had moved to Broad Street (3rd photo is as it was planned to look, as I can't find one that shows how it actually did look, but from memory that seems close, the 4th shows it's position heading towards the city & the 5th after BRMB had vacated).
View attachment 174164 View attachment 174165
View attachment 174166 View attachment 174167 View attachment 174168
I think you are correct John, I found a short history here. Alpha/ATV/Central and Carlton held onto the designation BAT, which I was told stood for Birmingham Astoria Theatre. The BAT designation is that used by the Post Office/BT for their video/audio circuits.

And some more:-

And a nice interview from 1956:-

Last edited:
Here is another clip:-
Hello folks, here's one from my memory bank. Many, many years ago I was doing a bit of taxi work. I got a call to pick up a fare from (old) New Street station. Well to my surprise it was Richard Todd. He wanted taking to Noele Gordon's flat. Apparently the pair were really good friends and she was expecting him. On the way we took the opportunity to chat away about the film world. He was really nice. Memories are great aren't they.

Has anyone seen the series? I've seen the first two episodes, and it's quite fun. Helena B-C seems less posh than I remember Miss Gordon being, but the sets seem very authentic recreations.
Watched it growing up. Amy Turtle getting her lines mixed up Benny Miss Diane lots of characters over the years. Victoria Woods Acorn Antiques a comedy tribute at its best. Kings Oak .

• Appreciate
Reactions: cba
The lady who played Amy Turtle used to go into the shop where my mother worked, she sounded toally different in real life! I'm glad there weren't too many imitation "Brummy" accents in "Nolly".
rosie.

I can't get ITVX on my television. Looking back, I did think that Noele Gordon sounded a tad "posh" myself, posher than Benny and Amy Turtle, certainly. ;)
Definitely posher than they were! I didn't know she was from the East End (or so she says in the 'Nolly' script).

I can't get ITVX on my television. Looking back, I did think that Noele Gordon sounded a tad "posh" myself, posher than Benny and Amy Turtle, certainly. ;)
I mentioned earlier on the thread that she had a flat round the corner from us on the Handsworth Wood Road - I can confirm she had a posh and very loud voice!
I think she liked to be noticed ;)

Back