• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Open Air Schools - Cropwood, Hunter's Hill, Marsh Hill and Skilts (excl. Haseley Hall and Uffculme)

Hi there micheal..just jumped on to say we got another thing in common..we both lived on bracebridge street.
Hello Marketman. It is a really small world. Unfortunately, I just can not remember anyone's names from my time in Bracebridge street, though I do remember the chippy on the opposite road to me, & an old gent who used to stand at the bottom of his entry, using his walking stick as a gun,playing with us kids.& there was a woman who lived not far from us, who used to keep jumping our of her bedroom window. I am still puzzled, & trying to work out who you are, especially as it has been 41 years since I left HHOAS. I think I must have been around 7 or 8 years old when I lived in Bracebridge Street.

Yes I was at Cropwood for 1 year aged about 8 I think, so that would have been round 1960 Miss Urquart was the Head Mistress and Miss Addis was a nurse there I think, I am not clear of her role. I slept in Extension, I hated it at first and ran away on the same day as another girl called Ann did the same, we both got returned to the school and made to stand up in Assembly while the Head told everyone what we did. I have lots more to tell if anyone is interested
I'm interested Lorraine.. keep them coming.
Try stating dates,and people u knew from both school.?

Hello Lorraine. I was at Hunters Hill from 1965, & vaguely remember Miss Urquart, but remember the swimming pool in Cropwood. Yes, it was kidney shaped, & was at the bottom of some steps. Some of us boys used to use it before we was allowed to go into Bromsgrove to the swimming baths there, though I could not swim at that time. I used to cling to the sides, but the teacher used to try to force away from the sides. I too, have not been back since I left in 1069, though am planning on paying a quick visit sometime.

Hello Marketman. It is a really small world. Unfortunately, I just can not remember anyone's names from my time in Bracebridge street, though I do remember the chippy on the opposite road to me, & an old gent who used to stand at the bottom of his entry, using his walking stick as a gun,playing with us kids.& there was a woman who lived not far from us, who used to keep jumping our of her bedroom window. I am still puzzled, & trying to work out who you are, especially as it has been 41 years since I left HHOAS. I think I must have been around 7 or 8 years old when I lived in Bracebridge Street.
We was 98 bracebridge street..the other end from u..lol we was by a park with a old steam engine in it..

We was 98 bracebridge street..the other end from u..lol we was by a park with a old steam engine in it..
Unfortunately, I only went to Blews Street park a few times, but I think, was a little too young to remember anyone from there, as I was always very quiet & did not mix at that time.My brothers were always allowed to go to the park when they wanted, but I was prevented, even though I was older than my brothers. I do remember an Asian family running a veg shop just down from my house. I used to help the owner slaughter chickens. Really nice family. Still none the wiser who you are though Marketman. I would probably know you if I saw a photo of you from our times at HHOAS.

Last edited:
Lovely photo btomo. I never had the opportunity to do this when I was there in 1965. Must have been a great feeling.
Yes. The music teacher sat a a piano and auditioned each boy to sing the scales do,ra.me etc. Said I was in with my beautiful voice. Then told they had enough and did not require me. Went into sulks and pester power. You can see it worked! Once I got over homesickness. I enjoyed my time there.

Yes. The music teacher sat a a piano and auditioned each boy to sing the scales do,ra.me etc. Said I was in with my beautiful voice. Then told they had enough and did not require me. Went into sulks and pester power. You can see it worked! Once I got over homesickness. I enjoyed my time there.
I know the feeling btomo. I was exactly the same. Hated being there at first, but after spending much time talking with Miss Buckley in her office, I soon began to start liking it, though some of the teachers tried to stop that (bullying).

I went to Cropwood Open Air School from 1963 - 1967.

Miss urqhuart was head mistress. I remember the dorms, the potties, the grounds and the Licky hills. Going to church some Sundays and remedials. I remember other things as well. Brown tunics and blazers, pale yellow shirts and green stockings. Can't remember what colour the tie was.

My name was Susan Mary Jones.
Hi susan,was at hhoas same time as you..
Will run some names past u to c if u rememba anyone..here goes,joy brown,Pauline denley,Janet,wheldon,winnie coleman,valerie cox,Marie Sutter,her brother went to hhoas also.

In a thread about Uffculme School, maggs wrote:

I went to Blackwell Open Air school, possibly for a couple of years. I was very young at the time and can't remember, but I hated the place and was so unhappy there. The food was dreadful, burned porridge, and milk straight from the cow, which I refused to drink. It was a beautiful place though, a big house in wonderful grounds. Owned by Cadburys. It was close to Bromgrove and the Lickey Hills. Does anyone remember this school?

Perhaps this subject deserves its own thread.

I know someone who was there for two-and-a-half years from 1950 to 1952 from the age of 11 and who has happier memories of the place (and was cured). Does anyone else have knowledge/memories of this school?

Chris
I went to crop wood from around 1954 to 1960 I thought it was ok there my name then was Alcock

Back