• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cromwell Street

lol.i could have swore i already replied to your last post...must be the heat...:D:D:D as i was saying it may be an idea to ask folk what end of the street it was...not may clues so start with the tree....:D:D

Morning all,
The view is looking at Rocky Lane crossing from left to right (or visa versa).
The tree was behind the old Rocky Lane Methodist Chapel site and would be between Cromwell St. and Scholefield St.
You can see the cooling towers in the distance and to the extreme right the edge of the gasometer at Saltley.
I stand to be corrected obviously, but I think I'm right- any other old Cromwellians out there to add anything.
Regards John.

morning john..thanks for that...those cooling towers.(that i did not notice) were a very good clue...

cheers..

lyn:):)

hi derekicg i used to know your mom/dad well,i used to clean his motor bike while he did repairers he used to keep it on the peck,on a Sunday i used to be down there with him,many a ride i had on the back of his bike and one time he had a delivery in London and i went for a ride and i remember your mom loved black magic chocolate and i had some good times with your mom/dad it would be about 60 years ago time flys all the best john:)

My family the Edges, Goughs and Hunts lived in Berkeley Road East and my mother (Beryl) and uncle Albert went to the Holy Family School on the Coventry Road, which got bombed out as it was by the BSA. My gran lived at 31 Berkeley Road East and my grandpa at 26, they got married and bought number 24 and my mom got married and bought number 18, so as a young girl I lived so close to my grandparents, great granny and aunt across the road in 31. My uncle has recently died so the family homes have now all gone.

just a reminder that if anyone has any pics of cromwell street we would love to see them...

cheers

lyn

Image99.jpg
About 1905

Hi John, Derek of 3 cromwell street..
where do you think that photo mite have been taken..
:encouragement:regards Derek

It's the Cromwell ARMS with what's left of our house no. 80 we lived there from 1940 -1953.
Couldn't get it to load, can some kind person do this for me please, many thanks.
Derek not many photos of Cromwell Street around, I got this off e-bay.
Regards John.

Hi Lyn
I have this one of cromwell St and i have one of the cromwell Arms, but it is a bit dark, but i will have a look and if it is not to bad i will post it.

Here is Cromwell St

cromwell2520street2520nechell2520b2Cham25207_-_Copy.jpg

Regards Stars

Hi Here is the Cromwell Arms which was posted by someone before. If i find a better one i will post it.

Regards Stars

normal_Cromwell_Arms_Pub_x_2.jpg

Stars

thanks stars..i think this pic must show john knights house to the left of the pub...think i am right anyway...

lyn

I love that photo Stars,the house just past the phone box (aston cross 0039)
next to the telegraph pole is were i was born and grew up,(1948)our back yard backed onto the shops,
we shared our lav with a couple of them.
happy days,i have the photo framed and hung above my comp desk..
best wishes dereklcg

The Cromwell Arms photo was obtained by me after advertising in the Australian press after nearly 50 years of searching, it was sent by the ex-licensees son.
It shows his father outside the pub in 1939,and Lyn is right our house to the left.

Hi All
John Knight kindley sent this copy of the Cromwell arms.

Many Thanks John

Cromwell_Arms_2.jpg

Regards Stars

its amazing john how very little pics we have of certain streets..you are lucky to have those..i am still searching for any pic at all of the street were i was born...

lyn

Back