• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cromwell Lane, Bartley Green

Phil Price

master brummie
Does anyone know the history of Cromwell Lane in Bartley Green. I believe my Grandmother was born there arround 1890 and the only thing I know is there was once a well that provided all of the water they needed.
Does the name Cromwell include this Well?

My Walker & Lees families lived in the area but I have thought about where all the strange names in the area came from.

Phil have you had a look at Bill Dargue Birmingham Place names A-Z; it gives details and old photos of Bartley Green.

Hello Phil, try the Bartley Green District History Group site, they might be able to help you also it's the centenary of Bartley Green this year. Good luck with your search. Margaret

Local 'folklore' has it that the road was named after Oliver Cromwell who marched through here? Interesting thought though about Crom - well, however it was a spring and not a well.

Millicent Armishaw
Hi, could be same Millicent Armishaw who's my Grandmothers aunt. My great grandmother was Mabel Armishaw who had a sister called Millicent Armishaw who was born in 1890. The Armishaw family grew up around Vicarage Road in Harborne.

Hi, could be same Millicent Armishaw who's my Grandmothers aunt. My great grandmother was Mabel Armishaw who had a sister called Millicent Armishaw who was born in 1890. The Armishaw family grew up around Vicarage Road in Harborne.
g
Am I correct that Mabel was born in 1867 and married in 1896? Do you know her married name?

Hi
Mabel my great grandmother was born in about 1874, she married John Henry Austin in 1896, they lived in Northfield Road, Vicarage Road and Tibbets Lane in Harborne. Mabels and Millicent's father was William Ilsley Armishaw who fought with Light Brigade in the Crimea and their mother was Hannah Guest who was born 1850 in Kings Norton Workhouse and ended up living on Cromwell Lane, Weoley Castle.... Mabel and Millicent Armishaw are defintely sisters and they had 12 other siblings

g
Am I correct that Mabel was born in 1867 and married in 1896? Do you know her married name?

Also Mabel and Millicent Armishaw's 1st cousin William Edward Guest was murdered in Cromwell Lane, Bartley Green on 1 June 1923 aged 48

Hi
Mabel my great grandmother was born in about 1874, she married John Henry Austin in 1896, they lived in Northfield Road, Vicarage Road and Tibbets Lane in Harborne. Mabels and Millicent's father was William Ilsley Armishaw who fought with Light Brigade in the Crimea and their mother was Hannah Guest who was born 1850 in Kings Norton Workhouse and ended up living on Cromwell Lane, Weoley Castle.... Mabel and Millicent Armishaw are defintely sisters and they had 12 other siblings
Pictures I have of William Ilsley Armishaw
William Illsley Armishaw (2nd Left).jpgWilliam Illsley Armishaw.jpg

they're great photos, first time I've seen a picture of William Armishaw my gg grandfather. Who's the women with and children? Would you know what year about the picture was taken?
I'll see what information I have and send you a private message

Back